Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin First Try  (Read 9257 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Gelatin First Try
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »
Just checking to see if I did this somewhat right

Kegged a batch of IPA. Steeped 2 oz of dry hops in a bag for 4 days at 67°. Pulled the hop bag and put it in my kegerator under 20# CO2 for 24hrs to chill it.

Mixed 1tsp gelatin in 3/4 cup hot water, rested about 20 min. Releived keg pressure and gently stirred in the gelatin. Resealed and applied 20# CO2.

I'm thinking it will be ready to blow out the gunk in 24 hrs. Then enjoy nice clear IPA goodness.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Gelatin First Try
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:25:38 am »
That should make it clear, but maybe not so much carbonated.
I don't stir, just gently pour the hot gelatin mixture on top of the cold beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:00:56 am »
The carb I'm not worried about, 20psi at 35° will carb it I'm sure.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:07:40 am »
24 hours takes a lot of out of the gunk out but I've found 36-48 hours to be slightly better.  If you give it a full 4-5 days you'll be amazed at the clarity.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »
This is my preferred method for making the gelatin mixture:  http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=64190&highlight=gelatin

It will fall out pretty quickly.  I usually give it a few days but 24 hours should get most of it out if the beer was already chilled.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:38:08 pm by narvin »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:48:14 pm »
Thanks guys. I got impatient this time I guess. I'll try it this way next batch.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 08:46:28 am »
Anybody ever notice any issue with Hop presence after gelatin. Have an IPA that needs to go on tap now and was thinking of doing the gelatin but I don't want to strip any of the hop aroma from the beer.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:01:10 am »
Anybody ever notice any issue with Hop presence after gelatin. Have an IPA that needs to go on tap now and was thinking of doing the gelatin but I don't want to strip any of the hop aroma from the beer.

Gelatin removes some hop presence if only because the yeast has adsorbed hop oils.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 10:00:25 am »

I don't have much issue with it.  you could always throw some hops in a nylon bag in the keg if you noticed a problem. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 10:32:50 am »

I don't have much issue with it.  you could always throw some hops in a nylon bag in the keg if you noticed a problem.

+1

It drops out some of the hop compunds/resins, but I still get plenty of hop character after using gelatin.
Ron Price

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »
If you were to quantify the loss of hop impression due to clarification with gelatin, are we talking only a few percent, on average, or enough that we'd want to up our hop bill to compensate knowing we're going to gel this one...? If the difference is small enough (5 IBUs or less), would one even notice that small of a difference?
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »
If you were to quantify the loss of hop impression due to clarification with gelatin, are we talking only a few percent, on average, or enough that we'd want to up our hop bill to compensate knowing we're going to gel this one...? If the difference is small enough (5 IBUs or less), would one even notice that small of a difference?

IBUs aren't so much the problem. it's hop flavor and aroma that I would worry about getting lost. But that too can be compensated for. Pleasantly it's even easier to do this because you can dry hop AFTER the gelatin to make up for any loss of aroma
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:14:42 pm »
+1.  I always add an extra oz or 2 of hops( in a nylon bag) in the keg for IPAs, aside from the main dry hop charge. Whatever small loss there might be from gelatin is more than overcome. A win-win.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 03:52:47 pm »
Well it worked. Somewhat lol
I only used a tsp which was half a packet. Will use full packet next time. Going to be more patient too. My plan will be to clarify after dry hopping 6 days by chilling 24 hrs and settling the gel 3 days while cold carbing

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 08:44:16 pm »
I'd use half pack.  I fine most of my beer with gelatin and I find time is more important than volume of gelatin. Two to three days min to get into the clear stuff.