Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin First Try  (Read 9259 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Gelatin First Try
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 02:38:40 pm »
Gelatin stinks. I rehydrated some before kegging a recent helles, then decided not to use it because of the way it smelled. I've used it before, but just can't bring myself to use it anymore.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 02:53:12 pm »
Gelatin stinks. I rehydrated some before kegging a recent helles, then decided not to use it because of the way it smelled. I've used it before, but just can't bring myself to use it anymore.
I try to avoid it too for that reason. I usually just don't need it. Also, on my IPAs where I use it occasionally, I end up increasing late hops by 25% because it tends to strip some of that away.  Usually I stick with time and cold and get a clear beer.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 03:50:30 pm »
Gelatin is flavorless and drops out.  I have never noticed problems with it giving off-flavors.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 06:58:56 am »
Gelatin is flavorless and drops out.  I have never noticed problems with it giving off-flavors.
Me neither, but it smells bad. Besides, knowing where it came from, I just don't really want to be putting it in my beer. I'll drink my helles like a kellerbier as I'm not going to wait for it to clear before I start drinking it. It's not a true lager anyway, it's the Mangrove Jack's Workhorse yeast. The beer tastes amazing and I just want to drink it. Best Malz pils for the win!
Jesse

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 08:58:46 am »
I am about to corny and gel my latest pale ale and I wanted to summarize (from what I understand) so I get this right:

(1) Cool/Cold your secondary
(2a) Prepare the gel mixture (1-1.5 cups H20, 1-3 tablespoons of gel mix; let sit for @ least 20 minutes, then microwave until just before boil - watch this closely - usually 45 seconds) OR
(2b)  Boil water in microwave first, then stir in gelatin.
(3) Rack beer from secondary to corny
(4) Gently pour gel mix (will be hot) into corny (will be cool/cold)
(5) blast with CO2 and let sit at least 2 days

Whut'd I miss?

Just edited
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:03:48 am by ppbrewclub »
Drink your own beer

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:38 am »
(2)  Do not boil it, or you will end up with Jello.  45 seconds in the microwave is all I use.
(3) & (4) I put mine in the keg first before racking.  This way is gets mixed in evenly when the beer is transferred.  I may let it cool a few minutes before putting it in the keg, but since it is such a small amount compared to 5 gallons, I know it will equalize rather quickly.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 09:34:13 am »
Boil just the water, not the gelatin.  I'm not sure why but as a chef in the old days I was always told never to boil gelatin -- it must break down or something if boiled too hard, I don't know.  So... boil the water (I do it in the microwave which only takes like 90 seconds), then stir in the gelatin until dissolved.  It takes a while but eventually it will fully dissolve.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 09:46:26 am »
I use some of the beer rather than water.  I stir in the gelatin, let it sit for a few minutes, then heat up the mixture to 170 in the microwave.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:35 am »
I am about to corny and gel my latest pale ale and I wanted to summarize (from what I understand) so I get this right:

(1) Cool/Cold your secondary
(2) Prepare the gel mixture (1-1.5 cups H20, 1-3 tablespoons of gel mix; let sit for @ least 20 minutes, then microwave till boil)
(3) Rack beer from secondary to corny
(4) Gently pour gel mix (will be hot) into corny (will be cool/cold)
(5) blast with CO2 and let sit at least 2 days

Whut'd I miss?

I rather add the gel mixture to the cold carboy, shake the carboy to mix, let settle over a few days and then rack to the corny.