Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: vigorous fermentation  (Read 6763 times)

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
Re: vigorous fermentation
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 07:57:09 am »
get in the habit of not pitching your yeast until it is in the low 60's and keep the fermenting beer temp, which will be 4-6+ degrees warmer than ambient, in the mid 60's. You don't really want the temp to go much higher than 70-72 during the first couple days save for a few strains.
I  can get the wort cooler,  but 75° is actually as low as I can get the ambient temp. With the water bucket and t- shirt,  and no fan, the thermostat on the carboy gets to about 70-72°.  Aside from rotating ice every hour or so,  which I work from 8:30-5,  is there anything else I can do?
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy-Benjamin Franklin

cornershot

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:07:21 am »
get in the habit of not pitching your yeast until it is in the low 60's and keep the fermenting beer temp, which will be 4-6+ degrees warmer than ambient, in the mid 60's. You don't really want the temp to go much higher than 70-72 during the first couple days save for a few strains.
I  can get the wort cooler,  but 75° is actually as low as I can get the ambient temp. With the water bucket and t- shirt,  and no fan, the thermostat on the carboy gets to about 70-72°.  Aside from rotating ice every hour or so,  which I work from 8:30-5,  is there anything else I can do?

1. Evaporative cooling (wet t-shirt and fan)
2. Ice bath
3. Fridge with temperature control
4. Glycol-jacketed fermenter
5. Dig a cave
6. Wait until cooler weather
7. Brew saison

Did I miss anything?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 08:13:08 am »

I think you can rotate ice every 12 hours, but if you can keep it below 72 you are probably alright, especially if you pitch cooler. Just buy a couple bags of ice and cool down several hours/over night. As long as you are sanitary you can wait 12-14 hours to pitch no problem. Much better than jumping the gun and pitching warm.

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »
  next batch for sure I will give this all a try
 Thanks
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 08:34:25 pm »

Did I miss anything?

Move to Canada?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49:04 am »

a little under pitched but not much. DON'T MOVE IT TO SECONDARY. if you have under pitched and stressed out the yeast you don't want to them remove most of them from the beer. Let them stay to clean up after themselves as much as possible.

Take a gravity reading. it's the only way to know what is going on in there.

I would not try to dilute anything at this point. Let it work. you've just got a somewhat stronger beer than you intended. Blend at serving time with a smaller beer or sparkly water if you must.

I don't know what you mean by two layers of floatys. but I don't think anything is wrong.

+1  and diluting at this point would just oxidize the beer.
Not exactly true. If you just add water you will add O2.

Here is a way to do it. Boil the water, transfer to a purged keg, purge the head space if you don't do closed transfers, allow to cool, the add to the beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!