Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smack or dont smack?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Smack or dont smack?
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:53:02 am »
I'm making a starter this weekend using 2 packages Wyeast czech pils. i read somewhere the yeast is actually in the liquid, not in the blister. Was wondering if i should: a) just dump the liquid in my starter, b) smack, mix and then dump in, or c) smack, wait to swell and then pitch to my starter?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Smack or dont smack?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:23 am »
Smacking the yeast is a way to proof it, to make sure the yeast is viable.  If you have time, smack it, let it swell, and pitch in your starter ( whether you should do a starter depends on your starting gravity and age of the yeast, but I would just to be safe). 

Half the time I forget to smack them 3 hours in advance when I do my starter so I just add it in.  They may get 1/2 hour while I'm boiling and cooling the starter.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:29:34 am »
You are correct, the yeast is in the liquid in the main pack. The interior pack has yeast nutrient and a bit of food for the yeast. If you're making a starter, you don't have to wait for it to swell first, but I would definitely smack it to get the goodness from that interior pack into your starter. If you're concerned about the yeast being viable (i.e. shipped in hot weather, really old...) then wait for it to swell for peace of mind. I typically get my starter boiled and cooled, then pull the pack out of the fridge, smack it, and pitch it into the starter immediately.
Mark Gres

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:35:53 am »
You are correct, the yeast is in the liquid in the main pack. The interior pack has yeast nutrient and a bit of food for the yeast. If you're making a starter, you don't have to wait for it to swell first, but I would definitely smack it to get the goodness from that interior pack into your starter. If you're concerned about the yeast being viable (i.e. shipped in hot weather, really old...) then wait for it to swell for peace of mind. I typically get my starter boiled and cooled, then pull the pack out of the fridge, smack it, and pitch it into the starter immediately.

+1!  I smack it mainly to get the nutrients out of the pack and have yet to wait for the pack to swell for my starters. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg