Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 60 schilling  (Read 9703 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: 60 schilling
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 06:03:16 am »
Not sure I boiled the concentration down enough. I pulled off two gallons and boiled it down to one (from first runnings) but it was not a syrup, as some have suggested. Didn't take a gravity reading, guess I should have.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 08:57:19 am »
Not sure I boiled the concentration down enough. I pulled off two gallons and boiled it down to one (from first runnings) but it was not a syrup, as some have suggested. Didn't take a gravity reading, guess I should have.

Yeah, it sounds crazy but you really do want to boil two gallons down to like .5 gallons or less. maybe even as little as .25 gallons
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 07:37:24 pm »
I'll probably just try it with specialty malts if I brew it again. Don't really care for taking a break in the brew day to boil a side job several hours.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 09:53:31 am »
I'll probably just try it with specialty malts if I brew it again. Don't really care for taking a break in the brew day to boil a side job several hours.

It won't be anywhere near the same...I've tried it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:19:30 am »
I believe you.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 01:08:21 pm »

Can you just keep boiling the side car until it's concentrated enough? I mean, you take the first runnings, boil it and boil it and boil it. At the same time, do your last runnings like normal, chill it, let it hang in the fermenter. Then when the syrup is done, dump that into the fermenter? Then pitch yeast if it's a good temperature?

I ask because I'd like to try this without the brew-day break.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:47 pm »

Can you just keep boiling the side car until it's concentrated enough? I mean, you take the first runnings, boil it and boil it and boil it. At the same time, do your last runnings like normal, chill it, let it hang in the fermenter. Then when the syrup is done, dump that into the fermenter? Then pitch yeast if it's a good temperature?

don't see why not. you could even pitch yeast and then add the concentrate after.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 01:24:59 pm »

That's basically what I did. All together was well over a 4 hour boil.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 01:58:11 pm »

if you wanted to shorten that time you can boil in a vessel that is wide and shallow allowing faster evaporation. that is the part that takes so long and it's not doing anything for you but wasting fuel. once the water concentration gets low enough the flavor development is fairly quick.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »

if you wanted to shorten that time you can boil in a vessel that is wide and shallow allowing faster evaporation. that is the part that takes so long and it's not doing anything for you but wasting fuel. once the water concentration gets low enough the flavor development is fairly quick.

So... if I could acquire a hugely-oversized wok and a powerful burner, that might just work. Although it would require a lot of stirring and watching.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 02:42:03 pm »
I suppose as a one pot alternative, you could pull off a gallon of wort early in the mash and boil like crazy in the kettle while the mash finishes. This is figuring that with well modified malt most conversion is done pretty quickly, so you'd be safe pulling a gallon after 30 minutes.

^ I like this idea.

I've heard pro brewers talk about getting their kettle blazing hot before starting the runoff to achieve some carmelization (for lack of a better term).

It would take some care to do this without scorching on a direct fire kettle. You could probably get the kettle hot during vorlauf and then cut the heat right before starting runoff. Stir like mad until you cover the bottom, then crank 'er up again. Periodically rotate the kettle on the burner to discourage hot spots.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 02:42:50 pm »

So... if I could acquire a hugely-oversized wok and a powerful burner, that might just work. Although it would require a lot of stirring and watching.

at a 5 gallon batch scale when you are only boiling down about 1 gallon you could do it in a big roasting pan on the kitchen stove.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 04:34:22 am »
I suppose as a one pot alternative, you could pull off a gallon of wort early in the mash and boil like crazy in the kettle while the mash finishes. This is figuring that with well modified malt most conversion is done pretty quickly, so you'd be safe pulling a gallon after 30 minutes.

^ I like this idea.

I've heard pro brewers talk about getting their kettle blazing hot before starting the runoff to achieve some carmelization (for lack of a better term).

It would take some care to do this without scorching on a direct fire kettle. You could probably get the kettle hot during vorlauf and then cut the heat right before starting runoff. Stir like mad until you cover the bottom, then crank 'er up again. Periodically rotate the kettle on the burner to discourage hot spots.

I have a "sort of" colandria so this wouldn't work on my set up. We are getting a 2 bbl direct fired kettle so I may try it for my commercial set up down the road. Too bad there's not just an extract like a Belgian candi syrup you can just add.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 06:14:35 am »

That is how I do it, and the reduced boil is ready by the end of a 90 min main boil.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 08:40:11 am »

^ I like this idea.

I have a "sort of" colandria so this wouldn't work on my set up. We are getting a 2 bbl direct fired kettle so I may try it for my commercial set up down the road. Too bad there's not just an extract like a Belgian candi syrup you can just add.

I suppose you could mix up some DME or LME with enough water to prevent it from instantly scorching and then caramelize that. if you used the MO extract might work pretty well
-A Einstein

- J Joyce