Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: vigorous fermentation  (Read 6810 times)

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
vigorous fermentation
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:56 am »
I started an Oktoberfest style ale, og 1.078, higher than I expected, and used an English ale yeast, which had higher temp tolerance.  I brewed on Saturday night pitched yeast at 70°-75°.  Sunday had an incredibly vigorous fermentation, and Monday morning has already slowed and the foam head was all but gone.  there was more than enough sugars and proteins, there was 2 layers of floatys. Is something wrong? ( pout it in water and covered with a shirt Monday morning)
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy-Benjamin Franklin

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: vigorous fermentation
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:52:26 am »
Never had anything subside that quickly. Of course I usually try to pitch at much lower temps. What was the age of the yeast and how many packets of what strain did you use? You may have under pitched. 1.078 is pretty high for one pack.
Trey W.

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:25:37 am »
1. It's probably still fermenting. What's the gravity?
2. 70-75f is a little high, even for the more temperature tolerant English yeasts. A higher temperature would encourage a faster fermentation.
3. Given the high o.g. you may have underpitched.
4. It's OK to dilute your wort if you overshoot your o.g.
5. Chilling an active fermentation too fast can crash the yeast.

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:42:55 am »
 the strain was us-04  European ale 11.5 oz package,  not sure on age  and when I put the carboy in water  the temp only want down a couple degrees.  it is still bubbling though just astronomically slower,.  can I still dilute and repitch  when I rack to secondary?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:38 am »
the strain was us-04  European ale 11.5 oz package,  not sure on age  and when I put the carboy in water  the temp only want down a couple degrees.  it is still bubbling though just astronomically slower,.  can I still dilute and repitch  when I rack to secondary?

a little under pitched but not much. DON'T MOVE IT TO SECONDARY. if you have under pitched and stressed out the yeast you don't want to them remove most of them from the beer. Let them stay to clean up after themselves as much as possible.

Take a gravity reading. it's the only way to know what is going on in there.

I would not try to dilute anything at this point. Let it work. you've just got a somewhat stronger beer than you intended. Blend at serving time with a smaller beer or sparkly water if you must.

I don't know what you mean by two layers of floatys. but I don't think anything is wrong.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:14:07 pm »

a little under pitched but not much. DON'T MOVE IT TO SECONDARY. if you have under pitched and stressed out the yeast you don't want to them remove most of them from the beer. Let them stay to clean up after themselves as much as possible.

Take a gravity reading. it's the only way to know what is going on in there.

I would not try to dilute anything at this point. Let it work. you've just got a somewhat stronger beer than you intended. Blend at serving time with a smaller beer or sparkly water if you must.

I don't know what you mean by two layers of floatys. but I don't think anything is wrong.

+1  and diluting at this point would just oxidize the beer.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 02:36:47 pm »
 by floatys I  mean a layer of cloudy material from the grains, clean then a layer in middle then clean and another at the bottom  before I even pitched. my original plan was primary 1 wk, secondary 3 wk,  bottle conditioning 2-3 wk.  should I pitch more yeast,  then after another week or two secondary?

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:26 pm »
hopdaddy
Congratulations on jumping into the game with all fours.  I agree with pretty much what everyone has said.  I think the most important things to do and consider now are 1) plan a new beer right away and get your mind of of this one.  Let is sit in primary until it is done.  Take gravity readings.  2) read everything you can about making beer. 3) Be prepared to control your fermentation temps.  If you were at 75 degrees when you pitched, your fermentation temp would be in the 80's.  Way to hot.  Lower temps, cleaner beer.  4) pitch proper amount of yeast.  Let this one work out on its own.  The next will be magnifico.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 03:24:59 pm »
by floatys I  mean a layer of cloudy material from the grains, clean then a layer in middle then clean and another at the bottom  before I even pitched. my original plan was primary 1 wk, secondary 3 wk,  bottle conditioning 2-3 wk.  should I pitch more yeast,  then after another week or two secondary?

just don't secondary. let this one ride until two gravity readings taken 3 or so days apart agree and then bottle. Might take two weeks, might take four. Might be done already.

If it has only been a week and it is really done wait another three - five days, then bottle condition for 2-3 weeks.

I can't say if you should pitch more yeast because I don't know what the gravity is right now. I would guess the answer is no but you will have to measure the beer and see.

While you are at it taste it.

Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't taste amazing warm and flat.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 05:03:09 pm »
ok I'll  check  it when I get home  just needed to be sure that  it'd be ok sitting in primary for a  month or so, I  have heard that it's  not great to leave it in primary for more than a week or so.  my next one is a pumpkin ale

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:44:54 pm »
ok I'll  check  it when I get home  just needed to be sure that  it'd be ok sitting in primary for a  month or so, I  have heard that it's  not great to leave it in primary for more than a week or so.  my next one is a pumpkin ale

Old wives tale. Leave it in primary. There is weight to the statement about leaving it with yeast if you're dry hopping it. Vinnie with Russian River said he tries to remove it from as much yeast as possible before dry hopping IIRC. But at a homebrew scale YMMV.
Trey W.

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »

I can't say if you should pitch more yeast because I don't know what the gravity is right now. I would guess the answer is no but you will have to measure the beer and see.

gravity right now from 1.078 on 8/3,  is 1.020 today 8/5

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 07:25:47 pm »

gravity right now from 1.078 on 8/3,  is 1.020 today 8/5

Should still be going.
Trey W.

Offline hopdaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 09:43:07 pm »
 Thanks all  I'll see how it turns out
Cheers

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 05:29:59 am »
get in the habbit of not pitching your yeast until it is in the low 60's and keep the fermenting beer temp, which will be 4-6+ degrees warmer than ambient, in the mid 60's. You don't really want the temp to go much higher than 70-72 during the first couple days save for a few strains.