Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager - oxygenation woes  (Read 2715 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Lager - oxygenation woes
« on: July 27, 2013, 02:43:09 pm »
My O2 regulator crapped out about 30-40 seconds into oxygenating my Oktoberfest wort today - think it'll be okay?  I'm quite pissed at the moment.  An otherwise perfect brewday!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Lager - oxygenation woes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:02:59 am »
No other means to aerate? I imagine you were another minute away from saturation.

Offline blatz

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:16:12 am »
Too big to shake and I don't have any mixing apparatus.  I pitched yeast and am hoping for the best.  If I can get another regulator from a homebrew club member would it be pointless to aerate now - 16 hours after pitching?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:54:46 am »
I think you can aerate up to 24 hours after with no problems.

Offline blatz

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:04:55 am »
Thanks Keith - I needed some reassurance.  Was able to get a new regulator at HD and hit it with 90sec at about 18hrs after initial pitch.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:39:32 am »
Paul,

You are fine.  RDWHAHB!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:16:08 am »
I brewed an Oktoberfestbier yesterday. Must've been a good weekend to brew German beer. It was very fall-like this weekend around here, high on Saturday was something like 67F lows in the low 50s.  LOVE IT. I'm not a warm weather person.
I chilled the wort over night in my kegerator, pitched that new Mangrove Jack's Bohemian lager yeast into it this morning. Sure hope it takes off, I've read about some ridiculously long lag times. A bit off putting.
Jesse

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:52 am »
thanks guys - slow bubbling this morning before I went to work, so it would appear that all is fine - about 40 hours since pitching so I would assume i'm okay and all the oxygen will have been consumed by the yeast.

beersk - I've looked at that Mangrove Jack's - be sure to post back what your impressions are. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:29:56 am »
thanks guys - slow bubbling this morning before I went to work, so it would appear that all is fine - about 40 hours since pitching so I would assume i'm okay and all the oxygen will have been consumed by the yeast.

beersk - I've looked at that Mangrove Jack's - be sure to post back what your impressions are. 
Good to know, man. Hope it turns out awesome. I'll post my impressions for sure. One guy on Homebrewtalk had a 90 hour lag time with this yeast, so I'm a bit nervous.
Jesse

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 08:30:52 am »
just an update - airlock is pounding (well, relatively speaking for a lager), and I peaked in the bail opening and the krausen is big and frothy so i think all turned out well.

will do a high krausen dump from the cone tonight and all should be back to normal.

thanks fellas!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:21 am »
Cool, man. My beer finally got going with some occasional swirling of the carboy for fears of 90 hour lag times...I'd say about 36 hours it finally started forming a thin krausen and this morning (48 hours after pitching) it had about a half inch krausen. Still thin, but maybe it'll build up a little more. I've heard the Mangrove Jack's Bohemian lager yeast is quite Czech tasting (doy), so it's probably wrong for an Oktoberfestbier, but oh well, I'm sure it'll be good. Fermenting it at 54-55F, which is in the middle of the range that they recommend.
Jesse

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 08:46:35 pm »
You should be done fermenting it within 10-12 days.
Just saying.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com