Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle cap discovery  (Read 1520 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Bottle cap discovery
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:04:01 am »
I have been using the American flag bottle caps they sell at midwestsupplies for a long time. Yesterday I was at the home brew store in Lawrence and they had them. I bought a package. It said on the package that they were oxygen barrier caps. I never knew that. I got them home and compared them to the ones I have already and they are definitely the same thing. They just are not labeled as such when you buy them form midwestsupplies. Not that I am complaining as I have a stout and a porter that I want to age nearly a year to be ready this winter.

I have always liked these caps, not only for the really cool design, but also because they are a sturdier metal than the other caps I had been using. The home brew store was selling them for $3.75 for a bag of 144. I had been paying $4.99. Shipping is a wash as the home brew store is approx 30 miles away. It makes a nice pleasant get away road trip and there are to excellent breweries in Lawrence.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bottle cap discovery
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:25 am »
I bought some flags, some green and some red.  All are O2 barrier.  Not sure if they'll like these in comps but they are fun and I can code some of my brews by rotating colors.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:53:45 am »
I thought about getting some of the different colored ones to differentiate my beers. But the flag caps are so cool I want them on all of my beers :)
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 04:28:38 pm »
Thanks for posting this! Gives me more reason to buy them. I always thought they were overpriced, but this changes my thinking.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!