Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SMaSH options  (Read 3627 times)

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
SMaSH options
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »
I am thinking about doing my first SMaSH beer. I think I will go with MO as the malt but I am undecided on the hop. I was thinking amarillo or east kent. Shooting for 1.052 OG and 30-40 IBUs.

I also drank my first Marzen at an Oktoberfest celebration last week and that was awesome. I think it is my new favorite beer. I am going to plan a Marzen for the end of the year since I don't brew in the winter and my equipment will be sitting anyway.

So I have also been thinking about doing a Munich smash. Any hop suggestions for Munich? Do you think you could produce something similar to a Marzen via a SMash beer that doesnt take as long to be ready?.

As far as yeast I was thinking something clean like American Ale. Any suggestions?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: SMaSH options
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:17:24 pm »
My most boring beer is one of the best. 10# 2row, 1 oz cascade FWH,  1 oz at 15 min.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:46 pm »
The whole point of doing a SMaSH beer is generally to taste test a particular malt and/or hop. So go with whatever you're most interested in. EKG's would be a pretty standard choice with MO. I'd go with WY1968 for your yeast if you go that route.

For a Munich SMaSH, I'd go with something noble like Tettnang or Hallertau, or maybe a US equivalent like Mt Hood or Ultra.

If you want to brew a "Mocktoberfest", I wouldn't go the smash route. The best Marzen recipes I've tried use a combination of Pils, Vienna and Munich (some with a touch of Caramunich as well), and that really gives a nice malt backbone. If you want a good starting point, Jamil's Ofest recipe from Brewing Classic Styles is a great place to start.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23:48 pm »
I did a Munich SMaSH with 1 oz sterling hops FWH and 60 minute boil. It was a good beer.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:39:30 am »
The whole point of doing a SMaSH beer is generally to taste test a particular malt and/or hop. So go with whatever you're most interested in. EKG's would be a pretty standard choice with MO. I'd go with WY1968 for your yeast if you go that route.

+1 on this...

I make an English Pale Ale with just a 95% MO and 5% Crystal 20.  Mash at 154.  1.055 OG. 1.012-1.014 FG.  40 ish IBU's.   The crystal is pretty much just for some body so you could use 100% MO.  East Kent Goldings is the single hop.  90 minute boil, 2 oz EKG after the boil gets established, 1 oz at flame out.  Steep for a bit then cool.  Wyeast 1968 ESB Yeast.  Great beer. 
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:18 am »
I think if I were going to do a Munich based SMaSH I'd go with Hallertauer Mittelfreuh. Thats a damn fine hop right there. Noble, if you will. If your in a hurry, I'd go with WY1007 or your favorite German lager yeast if you can be patient. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:48:09 am by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:54:09 am »
Citra. Lots of Citra. The Munich can handle it.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:11 am »
Citra. Lots of Citra. The Munich can handle it.

I brewed an IPA a few weeks ago and primarily used Citra.  One charge of Centennial to bitter and the rest was Citra.  I cheated a bit for a SMaSH, but the Citra was great!