Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Easy Tap Handles  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
Easy Tap Handles
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:06:46 am »
I made three chalkboard tap handles this weekend for only $15. They are not masterpieces by any means, but I think it beats spending $40 per handle.

Parts:

- 36" poplar 2 x 2
- 3/8-16 x 3 hanger bolts
- Ferrules
- Chalkboard spray paint

Simply drill a 3/8 hole, screw in hanger bolts, and spray paint handle. Couldn't be easier.

I'm going to stain the two on the left later today, but the one on the far right is complete. The one in the middle is a little crooked, oh well.

Offline howlinghound

• Cellarman
Re: Easy Tap Handles
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:21:14 am »
Upstate Dan - Hope you are staying warm this winter (I left the upstate area a year and a half ago for Colorado where there is much more sun and warmer winters).

Tap handles look great - I have some similar materials though was planning to use poplar that is only half as thick... and I found some threaded rod union pieces that I was planning to insert into the poplar rather than hanger bolts and ferrules.  Alas, I have not yet made these handles.

Wondering if you could provide more detail about the Ferrules; they look good and I have not seen those before - where did you find them?

Thanks

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
Re: Easy Tap Handles
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:32:57 am »
Ah yes. It's not the cold that gets to me in NY, it's the lack of sun in the winter. Very gloomy. However, it's been very clear and sunny this weekend.

I bought these chrome ferrules from Kegworks.

http://www.kegworks.com/chrome-beer-tap-handle-standard-ferrule-855-p19016

Let me know how your project goes!