Author Topic: First Stir-plate Starter  (Read 2353 times)

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
    • View Profile
Re: First Stir-plate Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »
My stir plate starters never have a high krausen, but I do get a ton of yeast growth.  I've never had a problem with a large volume (1.8L+) in my 2L flask.  If I'm doing a big beer and want a big pitch I'll start with 1 vial in 1L of starter wort, then add a second liter (or a little less) after the initial pitch slows down.  This build up yields bigger yeast gains that just pitching into 2Ls.
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning: SMASH Pale Ale
Fermenting: nada
Planned: Vienna Lager, Imperial Red, Oatmeal Stout

Offline quattlebaum

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Wildhops
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »

I always get blow off.  Strange must be the yeast i use. 1007, 3068 and 1056 mostly. my wife gets tired of yeast on the counter and so do i :)  I normally dont fill mine this full but it has been 20 hours and looks great to me. It make since about the surface area though. My beers taste fine and attenuate perfect so who knows.  I guess i should read some more of the yeast book on my night stand:) 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:02:44 PM by quattlebaum »

Offline quattlebaum

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Wildhops
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
How the hell do you enter a photo. I have never been able to do that.
Hmmm I never have a problem. Here's mine today. 2000ml of 1.030 and 100ml of fresh re-used slurry from an APA I kegged this morning. Started at 0900 and high krausen at 1400. I'll chill crash it in the morning and pitch it in tomorrow's IPA.

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
I use tapatalk and just click buttons. .. not much help. Sorry

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »
Hmmm I never have a problem. Here's mine today. 2000ml of 1.030 and 100ml of fresh re-used slurry from an APA I kegged this morning. Started at 0900 and high krausen at 1400. I'll chill crash it in the morning and pitch it in tomorrow's IPA.

Photobucket

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »

you need the url of the image as hosted on another site. photobucket or flick or something.

The url you enter should look something like this

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/9e7yjedy.jpg

ending in .jpg (or whatever photo format)

push the little mona lisa button above the smileys and enter that url between the resulting tags
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
Follow up:

100ml slurry in 2000ml of 1.030, pitched yesterday at 9am, hit high krausen about 2pm.
I pulled it from stir plate this morning at 8am. This is three hours later after sitting in fridge. Pretty sure I'm more than doubling in 24hrs. Works for me.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »
If you are having trouble with the bump in the bottom, try offsetting it slightly.
Primary:Stella Rosemary IPA
Lagering: Sto Lat Gratzer
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline hd3

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »
A little off topic...but, is there a reason to cold crash?  I just did my first starter on a stir plate and didn't cold crash it.  Just poured it in right off the plate.

Hermen D.
Liquid Poets Society - Homebrew Club

Offline Steve in TX

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
A little off topic...but, is there a reason to cold crash?  I just did my first starter on a stir plate and didn't cold crash it.  Just poured it in right off the plate.

It depends on the volume of the starter and the style of beer you are brewing.

Personally, I crash if the starter is over 1 liter to limit the amount of starter wort in the final beer. In most beers this is fine, and some beers more starter wort may not be too noticeable.

In a very simple and clean beer, like pilsner or light lager, the starter wort could have a greater effect.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
+1
But for me it's not that big a deal so I do it every time. I pop it in the fridge when it's time to brew and its all settled out by pitch time

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »

My starters are between 1L and 2L, and I've never crashed/decanted.  I've always pitched the entire starter at room temp.  I've used this method with everything from Hefe to IPA to Stout and have never had any off flavors or undesired characteristics in my beer.

If I were to do something light, like a Pilsner or Helles, then I might crash and decant...otherwise, the whole thing goes!
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning: SMASH Pale Ale
Fermenting: nada
Planned: Vienna Lager, Imperial Red, Oatmeal Stout

Offline jeffy

• Brewmaster General
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
If you have ever tasted the "beer" you made with the starter, then you would probably decide it's a good idea to chill and decant that stuff off the yeast.  It's all about adding flavors to our beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
Palmer basically tells us to decant anything over 5% of your fermenter volume. Unless I'm pitching the starter at high-krausen, I'll crash and decant.
AHA Member

On Tap: BIPA, American IPA
On deck: Kolsch

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
If you look at it that way, there are benefits to pitching at HK, supposedly,  but if the yeast has fallen there's little to no benefit to pitching that un hopped spent DME.

I'm no expert or scientist, but it seems like brewers sweat whether to use 3oz of chocolate malt or 4oz of special b, 1/4 oz of hops at 10 minutes or 5 minutes... then dump in almost three quarts of spent dme makes no sense to me.