Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh-n-wet harvest ale ideas  (Read 1579 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Fresh-n-wet harvest ale ideas
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:02 am »
The hops are ready early this year, and I hope to try some small batch experiments
using undried, freshly harvested hops.

Wondering if you all have any favorite recipes or techniques that you could recommend.
Any thoughts on designing a nice harvest ale with fresh wet hops?  Any differences from just an AIPA or APA recipe?...other than more hops?

Seems the Centennials, Mt Hood, and Cascade are available, as well as the ridiculously prolific TZeus.
Also not totally opposed to adding commercial fare from the freezer.  Is that allowed?  :-X

Thanks.

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fresh-n-wet harvest ale ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:56:23 pm »
I have Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, and Horizon growing. All are first year, so I won't have a lot even though most of them were actually developed into small plants by the time I planted them. I bought them from Great Lakes Hops here in MI.

Only Centennial are close to done in my case. I will need to wait a couple more weeks at least.
I plan an IPA with maybe half my harvest and I'll vacuum bag and freeze the rest.

Because the alpha is unknown, I will bitter with something like Galena or Magnum and then add large doses of wet hops at 10 minutes and then at flameout. I'll perform a hop stand for maybe 30 to 40 minutes before I run off. At least that's the plan so far. Not sure on how much I'll use but I was figuring on three to four times typical dried amount for the wet additions. It all depends on my harvest frankly. I may dry hop with the dried later.

Last year I brewed an APA with nothing but home grown whole hops. Cascade and Centennial exclusively were used. I moved and left the Cascades behind at my old place.

They were dried however and bagged and I just went a little heavy on the additions. I took a WAG and figured they were maybe 50% of typical alpha for commercial equivalent. The recipe used 40L crystal and was in the mid 50's for OG. I was expecting the possibility of a session IPA because of the larger hops additions but it came out great and very well balanced. It had lots of flavor too.

Hope this helps.