Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops Storage  (Read 1570 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Hops Storage
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:15:09 pm »
I bought a digital temperature controller for my fridge.  However, I didn't even think about the ramifications to the freezer part of the fridge.  All my foil sealed hops were now roughly the same temperature as the fridge compartment... not frozen like before.  Are those hops no longer good?  The temperature is about 65F.  Any info would be appreciated.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hops Storage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »
If airtight probably. I freeze mine vacuum sealed. I'd smell and look. Probably fine

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:54:02 pm »
I'm sure they'll be fine.  But, go with what Jim said in the future. 

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:18:04 pm »
It depends on how long they've been like that and, like others said, if they are sealed good. You can look at them and tell if they're bad.
Trey W.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:15:39 pm »
Just so you don't get too concerned here is a picture of the hop room at anchor steam.

granted they probably go through those bales pretty quick but there is no refrigeration going on there.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:33:23 pm »
Which leads to one of many differences between home and pro. I bet foe many homebrewers, 8 ounces is a major hop supply that must be preserved for several months. Which is about how much gets swept up after brewing in the big show lol.

So, buy enough for a couple months, air tight seal, store in freezer and you are gold. Even in your situation probably fine. If not hang on to them till they are cheesy and you have gold again