Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Stir-plate Starter  (Read 7423 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: First Stir-plate Starter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:49 pm »
I used to crash an decant but a pro brewer in KC told my friend to pitch the whole thing at high krausen.  I've been pitching the while starter ever since.  I've had shorter lag times and like the convenience of not havin to plan out days in advance.  My job keeps me busy donuts nice to do a starter 12-18 hours before and not crash.  I would decant if I were doing a lighter beer or if the starter were greater than 2L on a 6G batch.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »
If I was organized enough to time HK at pitch time, I'm with ya. I'm not so I go thru the hardship of turning off my stir plate and setting the flask in the fridge.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »
I hear ya. I can be extremely organized and still miss high krausen probably 50% of the time but still usually seem get within an hour or two.  I used to be paranoid about pitching the whole starter but I've heard interviews with NHC medal winners and Longshot winners that pitch the entire thing so I'm not concerned any more.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
Damn photos always have issues getting them on the forum.
I always get blow off.  Strange must be the yeast i use. 1007, 3068 and 1056 mostly. my wife gets tired of yeast on the counter and so do i :)  I normally dont fill mine this full but it has been 20 hours and looks great to me. It make since about the surface area though. My beers taste fine and attenuate perfect so who knows.  I guess i should read some more of the yeast book on my night stand:)
[/quote]

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:13:14 pm by quattlebaum »

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 10:19:47 am »
I pitched the starter last night.  It was pretty easy to see it was done.  I swirled the yeast well but there was still a bit left in the bottom clinging to the glass.
I had about a gallon of left over 1.048 wort left (still getting the new kettle figured out) so I put about 1600 ml back into the flask and put it back on the stir plate.  I got it stirring finally and went to bed.  Big time blow over this morning!  Probably threw the stir bar in the night.