Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first batch  (Read 4291 times)

Offline boognishlager

• 1st Kit
My first batch
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:01:40 pm »
I started my first batch on Feb 25th and it's been in the bottles for a week already. I tasted a bottle tonight and it seemed ok, but not quite as I was expecting. I know that I should have it sit in the bottles for another week (according to the recipe) but it just seemed off. I wonder if I didn't sterilize everything well enough. It does seem to have a sharp, biting kind of taste to it. And I have a question about the difference between a hoppy flavor and a malty flavor. I'm sure I can tell the difference, but I'd just like to be sure. I think this has a hoppy taste and I enjoy it, but I'd like to know for future batchs.

Offline gwilkosz

• 1st Kit
Re: My first batch
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:01:10 am »
What did you make?  My recommendation would be to buy a commercial example of the same or similar style and compare. 

And I have a question about the difference between a hoppy flavor and a malty flavor.

Hops provide bitterness and aroma while a malty flavor is sweet.  Again, I'd pick up a commercial example of an IPA, which is a hop-forward beer, and maybe a bock, which would be an example of a malty tasting beer.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

Offline mr_jeffers

• Cellarman
  • Saco, ME
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:47:06 am »
My recommendation would be to buy a commercial example of the same or similar style and compare. 

+1

Buy a few different beers from various styles.  As you try them, think about what you like/dislike about each one, and use that information to adjust your recipes.  If you love over the top hops, throw some extra in the kettle (early additions for bitterness or late additions for aroma).  If you like sweet beers, add some unfermentable sugars to your wort using high mash temps.

Most of all, enjoy the hobby.  Boognish is great company on brew day.
Jeff Brown
Southern Maine Homebrewers

Offline dharvey513

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:15:50 am »
I am new to home brewing also.   One of the things that fascinates me about this hobby is how the beer changes as the it conditions.  I try to be patient but I just can not help myself.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:20:36 am »
"Malty" can be sweet, but it doesn't necessarily need to be.  Ayinger dunkel is a great example of that, AFAIAC.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline boognishlager

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:10:01 pm »
What did you make?  My recommendation would be to buy a commercial example of the same or similar style and compare. 

I guess that would've been helpful information lol. I made an American Light Lager. I figured for my first time I'd take the easy route and bought a Brewer's Best kit that had all the ingredients measured already and step by step instructions. So I was basing the taste on Bud Light. It tasted hoppier than what I'm used to. But I definately need to try some other styles to learn more.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:27:11 am »
Did you actually ferment at lager temps and lager it?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:52 am »
Surely it would take longer for a Light Lager? Brewed on Feb 25th. In bottles for 7 days already. That leaves only 11 days for primary and lagering.

Possible I guess.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boognishlager

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 10:58:49 pm »
The temps have been a constant 60 to 65 degrees. I thought that I would give it a taste, but I know it's not quite done. And I know it seems quick, but I was just going by the recipe. According to the recipe, it should actually be ready in a week from now, possibly two weeks from now.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:04:00 am »
I've made some light ales, both extract and all-grain that I swore looked and tasted like a slightly beefed up American lager.

What type of yeast was used Boognish?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:53:46 am »
The temps have been a constant 60 to 65 degrees. I thought that I would give it a taste, but I know it's not quite done. And I know it seems quick, but I was just going by the recipe. According to the recipe, it should actually be ready in a week from now, possibly two weeks from now.

If it's truly a lager, you would want to ferment it at more like 50-55 degrees and then cold age it for a couple months.  Maybe the kit didn't actually use a lager yeast?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline boognishlager

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 07:20:55 pm »
It was a dry yeast. I don't know much about different yeasts. Honestly I kinda feel like a fool about this stuff at this point. lol, thought I knew what I was doing until I came on here and I see that experience really matters and I've got a long way to go. This is the recipe that came with the kit that I used. http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1018_American_Light.pdf I know that doesn't answer the yeast question, but maybe it'll help with any others.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 12:21:52 am »
Hey man it's still beer. If you spot a problem but you still want to drink more of them then you got an A+.

One day you'll be answering these very types of questions  ;) LOL

I'm willing to bet the yeast is S-05 or something similar.

Offline boognishlager

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 06:20:50 pm »
I'm definately ready to make more. I think I know what my biggest problem was with this batch (that will still get drank lol) and I know what I need to do to fix it.

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »
I am new to home brewing also.   One of the things that fascinates me about this hobby is how the beer changes as the it conditions.  I try to be patient but I just can not help myself.

Here here. I have a hard time waiting to. Best option would be to go out and load up your fridge with some of your favorites. Drink those first. Once they are gone, go ahead and replace with homebrew :)