Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ingredients from Walmart!  (Read 13414 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ingredients from Walmart!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 09:36:56 am »
IIRC, you need to dilute it a bit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 10:44:39 am »
The label shows 32g of carbs and 24g of sugars in a 7 oz bottle.
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/goya/malta

If that's accurate, expect 75% attenuation at best.  32g in 207 ml is too strong.  I would simply dilute it to 50% strength with water.  You can do other dilutions, but that's in the right range and is easy.

It's an interesting idea.  How much does that stuff cost?  I can't argue with the ease of use, just wondering how it costs out compared to making your own because that's about $0.25 worth of DME.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »
I believe it has hops in it too

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 12:58:14 pm »
From http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=378206&storeId=10052&langId=-1

Ingredients

Water, Pale Malt, Caramel Malt, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Salt and Hops.

Depending on the amount of HFCS and Corn Syrup, you might be better off with DME for starters. I wonder if the pH is low enough to have an effect on fermentation as well. Still, it's a nice option in a pinch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 01:23:40 pm »
i have some pancake/waffle mix that is made from malted barley.  (i have brewed once with it but it was just a little bit of a variety that had pumpkin flavor. i haven't even gotten around to trying the beer.  i don't know if there is any conversion ability in it or not. for that matter how about malt for making vanilla malts etc.
Don AHA member

Offline gus55

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 06:21:02 pm »
How about malting your own quinoa? Just a thought, don't know if the seeds would sprout, and would be expensive.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 06:30:05 pm »
How about malting your own quinoa? Just a thought, don't know if the seeds would sprout, and would be expensive.

I had limited success with this. the seeds sprout like mad. in fact one of the hardest parts (aside from the fact that there is only limited alpha amylase activity) is STOPPING them soon enough. They are ready to kiln within 12-18 hours after the first soak.

In my experiment I got about 60% AA with a massive overpitch of us-05. I have yet to repeat the experiment but it's on the roster.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce