Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone to increase Ruination by .5%  (Read 4613 times)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Stone to increase Ruination by .5%
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:37:07 am »
http://beerpulse.com/2013/08/stone-brewing-co-to-dial-up-ruination-ipa-a-notch-1078/

Never stop trying to improve!

they should stop p****footing around and just produce RuinTen year round!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:53:31 am »
http://beerpulse.com/2013/08/stone-brewing-co-to-dial-up-ruination-ipa-a-notch-1078/

+100.  Awesome stuff !
Jon H.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:21:40 am »

I actually prefer the Ruination to to the RuinTen.  Don't get me wrong, RuinTen is awesome.  For the money I usually get the standard IPA.  Pretty solid beer.  Bottle could use some updating, however.  Seems out of line with their other bottle graphics.  Epecially the "Stone IPA" on the bottle neck.  All solid beers! Excited for them to finally arive in Nebraska in 2 weeks!

Now, if we could just get Enjoy By year round in every market...

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:31:39 am »

amen to that!!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:56:53 am »
Talked to the SW Regional rep for Stone last night... Liberty Station has now been open for a short while... heard great things about it... if you get a chance, stop on by... food, beer, patio... special brews you won't be able to get anywhere else.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

amen to that!!

Enjoy By is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Coming to IN this time around!!!

At least recently, Ruination has a big vegetal characteristic that I do not like. I don't think its always been this way. I actually threw away the first 4-pack I bought because I thought it was a bad batch, but ever since its tasted the same.

Anyone else notice this?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:31:37 pm »
I never have. I can tell you that after drinking several bottles locally, then getting it on tap from the source I will never buy a bottled one again. Liberty station was okay, compared to the Escondido facility it isn't remotely close to as cool. There is still a lot going on with the project though and it is only about ten minutes away from me. There are well over 100 ipas being made in the county now, and I'm not sure if ruination makes my top ten anymore.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:39:11 pm »
Had a Ruination last nite.  Tastes the same as it always had...fantastic.  What was the best by date?  I only buy cold IPAs that I know are fresh.  Call me a "snob", I guess?

Which brings me to my soap box about breweries cork and caging hoppy beers..... >:(

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:57:53 pm »
Had a Ruination last nite.  Tastes the same as it always had...fantastic.  What was the best by date?  I only buy cold IPAs that I know are fresh.  Call me a "snob", I guess?

Not a snob - a homebrewer! I rarely buy IPA's any more, because they are the biggest roll of the dice for me at the liquor store and I can brew them fresher (and I can stuff as much hops as I want in them).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 01:06:07 pm »
Enjoy By is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Coming to IN this time around!!!

At least recently, Ruination has a big vegetal characteristic that I do not like. I don't think its always been this way. I actually threw away the first 4-pack I bought because I thought it was a bad batch, but ever since its tasted the same.

Anyone else notice this?

I will be one happy Hoosier when that Enjoy By shows up!  A very nice beer....

I'm with you on the vegetal characteristic.  It's not always prominent, but its there.  Maybe it has to do with the batch of hops they are using?  They go cold on the dry hopping after the first few days at mid 60 degrees then down to 34 degrees for a week.  I think that can emphasize that vegetal flavor.  Great beer though!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:07:53 pm by Three »
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »

Not a snob - a homebrewer! I rarely buy IPA's any more, because they are the biggest roll of the dice for me at the liquor store and I can brew them fresher (and I can stuff as much hops as I want in them).
You know, I've been feeling this way for a while, too. Many times I'm disappointed that they're sort of vegetal or just not good tasting. I'll get them on tap though.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »

You know, I've been feeling this way for a while, too. Many times I'm disappointed that they're sort of vegetal or just not good tasting. I'll get them on tap though.

IPA is one of the easiest beers to make. Can't see why any homebrewer would rely on any commercial IPA. You can put waaaay more aroma hops in a homebrewed IPA than a commercial brewer can. And you know it is going to be fresh! That said, it is really important to know how well your hops are taken care of. That is one advantage some commercial breweries may have over homebrewers - picking the cream of the hop crop.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
IPA is one of the easiest beers to make. Can't see why any homebrewer would rely on any commercial IPA. You can put waaaay more aroma hops in a homebrewed IPA than a commercial brewer can. And you know it is going to be fresh! That said, it is really important to know how well your hops are taken care of. That is one advantage some commercial breweries may have over homebrewers - picking the cream of the hop crop.

Even IF I could brew a better IPA than Stone/Firestone/Fatheads/3Floyds/etc., I would still buy them. I'm a fan.

With so many choices these days, you're bound to find something fresh in the cooler of a reputable beer store.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 02:07:17 pm »

Even IF I could brew a better IPA than Stone/Firestone/Fatheads/3Floyds/etc., I would still buy them. I'm a fan.

With so many choices these days, you're bound to find something fresh in the cooler of a reputable beer store.

Said RELY, didn't say buy. ;) Stone is finally launching in Alabama this month and you better be dern sure I will pick up some up. All I mean is that, generally, you can make better IPAs than you can buy. Assuming you know what you are doing. Which isn't rocket science.