Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ale still fermenting after 4 weeks  (Read 6619 times)

Offline gus55

• 1st Kit
ale still fermenting after 4 weeks
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:10:04 pm »
I bought Anniversary IPA from Austin HB, OG was 1.049, used US-05 yeast, I saved from my last batch. Started it with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of corn syrup, it took off and foamed over like mad. Temp is controlled at 20C. Still a layer of foam on top and bubbling once every 30 seconds or so. Its been 4 weeks and 2 days now. Mine usually finishes in 2 weeks, never had this happen before. How long can this go on?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: ale still fermenting after 4 weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:24:00 pm »
Have you taken a hydrometer reading?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 04:30:38 am »
Don't count bubbles, thats just co2 coming out of solution and can happen for weeks. Layer of "foam" is most likely just yeast. Some strains (low flocculating ones) can remain on surface for weeks after fermentation is mostly finished. Lightly swirl the fermentor and that top layer should fall back into the beer.

As mentioned above, take a hydrometer reading. two readings that read the same after 2 or 3 days apart is how you know you are done.

Offline gus55

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:04:20 am »
Don't count bubbles, thats just co2 coming out of solution and can happen for weeks. Layer of "foam" is most likely just yeast. Some strains (low flocculating ones) can remain on surface for weeks after fermentation is mostly finished. Lightly swirl the fermentor and that top layer should fall back into the beer.

As mentioned above, take a hydrometer reading. two readings that read the same after 2 or 3 days apart is how you know you are done.
O.K., Thanks all, will try those things.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:37:14 am »
Also, don't make a starter for dry yeast.  It's unnecessary and can be counter productive.  And when you do make starters, use malt and not corn syrup or sugar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:22:44 am »
+1 to no starter for dry yeast - rehydrate, at most.  Extra handling could also have allowed an infection to be picked up - pellicle versus krausen?  You should be fine, though, just wait for consistent gravity readings before bottling.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:28:42 am »
+2 - missed that part.