Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Am I being impatient?  (Read 10173 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Am I being impatient?
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:46:06 am »
So after years of only bottling I'm finally set up to keg!

I kegged my first beer Tuesday afternoon, set psi to 25 and shook it few times as the day went on.

Last night I bled the excess, set to 10psi and tapped a glass or two. Great head but no carbonation. Too soon? Not high enough initial psi? Impatient?

Yes the co2 tank is full, yes I can hear the gas filling the keg, yes I verified there are no leaks anywhere in the system.

Temp is at 42F if that helps.
Appreciate the input
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:48:02 am by duboman »
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Am I being impatient?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:04:01 pm »
Be patient.

The issue with cranking up the CO2 to carbonate then bleeding it off is the rapid pressure change pulls a lot of CO2 out of solution.

If you're in a hurry and need to crank up the pressure, make sure you bleed off excess slowly before pouring (over the course of a few minutes).

IMO setting the pressure based on the desired carb level and waiting a week or so provides more consistency. This is especially true if the carbonation and serving pressures are the same.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline rbgilbert2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:41 pm »
I carbonate the same way and have had no problems.  I shake my keg pretty good @ 25 psi for 2-3 minutes in a horizontal orientation, listening for bubbling from the gas in.  When that slows down, I let it rest, drop pressure to 12-13 and sample.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:59 pm »
What was the beer temp when you were shaking it and how long did you shake it? Once the beer is at serving temperature, I can generally carb it in 3-5 minutes of shaking at 25 psi or 10-15 minutes at serving pressure 10 psi.

Let me tell you 3-5 minutes shaking a full 5 gallon keg is a long time. Also how full it was comes into play some too as the more head room the quicker you can get it done.  I will usually keg it at night, shake it the next morning when it's at serving temperature and drink it that evening after any sediment is settled.

If you already have the beer at serving temperature, you can absolutely have it carbed to desired volumes of co2 and ready to drink in less than 20 minutes.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:21:38 pm »
The beer was at the same 42 prior to keg, I definitely did not shake it 3-5 minutes, maybe 1-2 but a couple times. The keg was filled to the level of the rubber top price so little head space I guess.

It's been under 25 psi now since Tuesday afternoon. I was going to try another pour this evening after work.

Since I've been a very patient bottler for many years I'm not really worried, just trying to understand and get a handle on this kegging thing:)

Besides giving it more time if its not ready is there something else I should try tonight?

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:30:00 pm »
Very AWESOME!  You will be very happy.  And your beer consumption will increase!!!!  And then you will have to brew more!!!!!  It's the perfect circle!

Not being in a hurry seems to be the best method (IMO).  I usually keep 30 psi on a new keg for two days and then lower to 12-14 lbs (at 40ish degrees) for about a week.  I have to admit, there is an ABUNDANT amount of checking it's progress as I go......

I'm sure you are aware of the carbonation charts out there, and leaks suck!  Check and tighten those connections!
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:06:43 pm »
I would try it first but if you really want to get into it. I assume it is your only keg at the moment. Turn the pressure back up to 20-25 ish, then turn the gas back down a bunch. Shake it and watch the needle drop slowly back down. This will indicate that the beer is absorbing the co2, if it happens quickly you are not that close, if it happens slowly you are getting close. Turn the gas back up and do it again, probably reducing how much above serving pressure you want to go to avoid over carbing. You can do this a few times and get pretty close to where you want to be.  Over carbing and sending beer up the co2 line are the problems.   Here is a link that has some useful tips and charts.  Being able to immediately carb is one of the many benefits, but nothing wrong with waiting.

http://morebeer.com/web_files/morebeer.com/files/kegging.pdf

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »
I would try it first but if you really want to get into it. I assume it is your only keg at the moment. Turn the pressure back up to 20-25 ish, then turn the gas back down a bunch. Shake it and watch the needle drop slowly back down. This will indicate that the beer is absorbing the co2, if it happens quickly you are not that close, if it happens slowly you are getting close. Turn the gas back up and do it again, probably reducing how much above serving pressure you want to go to avoid over carbing. You can do this a few times and get pretty close to where you want to be.  Over carbing and sending beer up the co2 line are the problems.   Here is a link that has some useful tips and charts.  Being able to immediately carb is one of the many benefits, but nothing wrong with waiting.

http://morebeer.com/web_files/morebeer.com/files/kegging.pdf

Thanks, I currently have it at 25 so when I get home I'll do some shaking and see how it goes. It is my only keg that's full right now with a Belgian White I'm chomping to sample! Believe me I've got plenty of other beers to drink so I can certainly wait.

Thanks for the help, I at least know now I am on the right track and appreciate the file reference!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 03:51:51 pm »
You can get faster carbonation if you bubble up through the dip tube. I rarely do anything but quick carb flat kegs. 30 psi, shake for 1 Min. Taste test. Repeat till carb level you need. You can find time it over the next week.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:19:47 pm »

You can get faster carbonation if you bubble up through the dip tube. I rarely do anything but quick carb flat kegs. 30 psi, shake for 1 Min. Taste test. Repeat till carb level you need. You can find time it over the next week.

I might try that next time:)

As it turns out I was just impatient, got home, shook the keg real well and the needle did not drop at all, bled off excess slowly, set to 10psi and received a just about perfect, well carbonated Belgian White pour to make my day!

Thanks for all the help everyone, advice and reassurances I'm heading in the right direction, time for another!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 04:30:05 pm »
You can get faster carbonation if you bubble up through the dip tube.

I gotta tell ya, I tried that a number of times and didn't see any difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »

Thinking about it, question, how? My gas connect will not couple to the liquid post and vice versa or are you switching the valves?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 05:07:58 pm »

Well, I think yer crazy! No offense! ;)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 05:48:42 pm »

Thinking about it, question, how? My gas connect will not couple to the liquid post and vice versa or are you switching the valves?

They are designed that way so they can't be mixed by accident. You would need to put a liquid connector on your gas line. Flare fittings are your friend.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »
Buy a carb stone for $12 on morebeer and a 12" piece of tubing and stick it on the gas in post inside. Set to serving pressure and leave 2 days. It'll be ready then.

BTW I didn't read all of the other posts but I think this is a good solution, as it's what I do and it works GREAT!!! 

Also, to your original post, it's not done carbonating yet.  I too get impatient like that and had the same issue in the past. Cheers!
Trey W.