Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Question  (Read 11815 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: CO2 Question
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 07:52:17 pm »
so...is my beer ruined? :'(

I doubt it.  And the oil won't kill you, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 08:31:54 pm »
Yes, anything labeled not safe for human consumption is totally safe in beer so long as you don't consume it.

Lolololololol
Trey W.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 09:12:53 pm »
Unless I knew what kind of oil, i would not call it safe. There are oils that can ruin your day.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 08:42:53 am »
OK, I grabbed a C02 cartridge and slapped it onto my keg - before reading the "not for human consumption" warning :-[.  Is my beer ruined? :(  I popped it off, and sampled a glass - didn't notice any off flavors.  Will hit the homebrew store on Friday to pick up the "human-safe" ones...

That's because CO2 isn't safe for human consumption!  It doesn't have any meaning in relation to the contents of the cartridge other than that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 09:12:24 am »
OK, I grabbed a C02 cartridge and slapped it onto my keg - before reading the "not for human consumption" warning :-[.  Is my beer ruined? :(  I popped it off, and sampled a glass - didn't notice any off flavors.  Will hit the homebrew store on Friday to pick up the "human-safe" ones...

That's because CO2 isn't safe for human consumption!  It doesn't have any meaning in relation to the contents of the cartridge other than that.

That's a good point.  However, the Crossman cartridges are stamped stating that they contain oil.  I assumed that's what he was referring to.  Way back in the day (mid-90s) I used one or two of those to dispense a mini-keg (or several) to no ill effect.  The quantity of oil that might actually wind up in the beer has got to be minimal, especially in a 5 gallon keg.  Nonetheless, there are better options and I don't recommend using the wrong type of cartridges.

You ought to be able to get good cartridges at any kitchenware place that sells whipped cream dispenser or soda water chargers.  You could also use the nitrogen cartridges to dispense, but they tend to be shorter IIRC.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 02:29:26 pm »
Here is my finished product

Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 03:32:23 pm »
Very nice!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BuckeyeInMI

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 08:56:50 am »
Oil is only an issue in two circumstances. 

The first is when you buy cartridges that are not food-grade.  They may or may not have residual oils in them.  The solution, as others have said, is to buy food grade cartridges. 

The second, and this is pretty rare, is when you're using a paintball tank that has been used frequently for actual paintball.  It's possible that when your tank runs out of C02, negative pressure may cause some oils from the gun to get sucked back into the tank.  The solution, to me at least, is to buy a new paintball tank dedicated to dispensing beer.  They're only about $20.