Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Am I being impatient?  (Read 10175 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Am I being impatient?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »
I set a warm keg to 40 psi with temp controller at 40F and leave it for 36 hours.  No shaking.  Then set it to serving pressure.  If the beer is already chilled, or if its a style that needs lees carbonation then I do 40psi of 24 hours.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:01:21 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 08:17:39 am »
Patience is almost always rewarded in homebrew.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 08:19:10 am »
Patience I learned a long time ago;) 3 kids and Homebrewing will do that to you!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:34 am »

You can get faster carbonation if you bubble up through the dip tube.

I gotta tell ya, I tried that a number of times and didn't see any difference.

Thinking about it, question, how? My gas connect will not couple to the liquid post and vice versa or are you switching the valves?

Yep.  I use the flare fittings, which screw on.  It's simple to swap them around.  Another advantage is that if someone shows up with a pinlock keg, I can just screw on the proper fitting.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 10:17:23 am »
You can get faster carbonation if you bubble up through the dip tube.

I gotta tell ya, I tried that a number of times and didn't see any difference.

Well, I think yer crazy! No offense! ;)

And _I_ think you didn't do the experiment carefully!  No offense!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:46 am »
Tell you what. I have a gizmo that reads co2 volumes. This will be an easy test. Let you know soon.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 11:46:52 am »
Tell you what. I have a gizmo that reads co2 volumes. This will be an easy test. Let you know soon.

Please do!  I hooked up two kegs, one each way, and hit them with the same pressure for the same time.  But all I had to evaluate them was my own impressions.  This may be the ONE time I was wrong!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline terrym

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 01:52:26 pm »

Please do!  I hooked up two kegs, one each way, and hit them with the same pressure for the same time.  But all I had to evaluate them was my own impressions.  This may be the ONE time I was wrong!  ;)
[/quote]

Denny wrong?!?!  Nah, I don't believe it.
TerryM
Pacific Gravity

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 04:35:24 pm »

Did you shake them or just give them time? Here's the thing, if you have top pressure on the beer and are bubbling Co2 up from the bottom it's going to stay in the liquid more readily as opposed to trying to force it down from the top. But if you do it over, say, a week, it may not make as much difference.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 09:37:05 am »
Did you shake them or just give them time? Here's the thing, if you have top pressure on the beer and are bubbling Co2 up from the bottom it's going to stay in the liquid more readily as opposed to trying to force it down from the top. But if you do it over, say, a week, it may not make as much difference.

I think I shook them.  It's been so long since I did the in through the out thing that I don't recall, but that's always been my SOP.  These days I just let them sit at about 30 psi at room temp for a few days.  Shaking was too much work!  Believe me, I understand the theory.  It's just that reality didn't bear it out for me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 09:53:08 am »
You "think" you shook them. Boy, doesn't get more scientific than that! :P :D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 10:08:13 am »

I'm pretty sure I did.  Whatever I did, it was the same for both other than the poppet I used to introduce CO2.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 11:31:21 am »

I'm pretty sure I did.  Whatever I did, it was the same for both other than the poppet I used to introduce CO2.
The thing is, if you pick up the keg and old it horizontally and shake it, it doesn't make any difference which port the gas is going into.  They're both below the surface of the liquid.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »
The thing is, if you pick up the keg and old it horizontally and shake it, it doesn't make any difference which port the gas is going into.  They're both below the surface of the liquid.

When I did the shaking, I would lay the keg on the floor and roll it back and forth.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »

When I did the shaking, I would lay the keg on the floor and roll it back and forth.
So you didn't actually shake it, you rolled it.  You're in the music business, what if you had rattled it? 
Would the gas and liquid ports still be below the surface?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995