Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bairds vs. Fawcett Maris Otter  (Read 7367 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Bairds vs. Fawcett Maris Otter
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »
I've always purchased Bairds MO for our Amber.  Last order came in and it was Thomas Fawcett MO.  I didn't think any big deal until I opened the bag.  Much more foreign material in the Fawcett.  At least it seemed that way.

Anyone have direct experience with these two malt companies?

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: Bairds vs. Fawcett Maris Otter
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:08 pm »
I've always preferred Crisp or Bairds over Thomas Fawcett.  I would get the lowest efficiency with fawcett than the others (not by much just 2-3%)  The flavor was slightly more muted than the others as well.  Works good if that's all you can get, but for a commercial operation I'd guess you want to stick with the same maltster for a consistent product

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:34:46 pm »
I would agree that different maltsters produce different malts even thou they call them the same. In Pro Brewing you need to be maltster specific.

Just my opinion.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:37:04 pm »
Wow. Can't believe what I'm reading. Thomas Fawcett MO is my favorite MO. Better than Crisp. Way better than Bairds. Better efficiency. More character from the TF. Hate the way they seal their bags, but everything else is top of the line IMO.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 06:52:09 pm »
I've always purchased Bairds MO for our Amber.  Last order came in and it was Thomas Fawcett MO.  I didn't think any big deal until I opened the bag.  Much more foreign material in the Fawcett.  At least it seemed that way.

Anyone have direct experience with these two malt companies?

Can't compare different MOs, but I was surprised by how much foreign material was in Fawcett.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:16:07 am »
OK, let's all lay the crack pipes down a second a talk. How's the quality of the beer made with TF? I think TF is the best tasting Maris Otter that you can find readily. Just wish they sealed the plastic lining to the outside of the bag. The whole plastic lining slides out with the malt if your not careful.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:16:56 am »
FWIW I don't think Bairds is floor malted, if that matters to you. I prefer the floor malted varieties.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 12:27:20 pm »
Well Keith, my efficiency was not affected at all with the Fawcett, and now that I'm back to Bairds, no change either. 

I'm gonna fill a couple bottles of the Fawcett Amber, and compare that to the Bairds I brewed yesterday. 

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:49:10 pm »
I would agree that different maltsters produce different malts even thou they call them the same. In Pro Brewing you need to be maltster specific.

Hell, I'm maltster specific and I brew on the stove top!

I'm really replying because I'm working my way through my third maltster for MO. First sack was Warminster Floor Malted MO, then Crisp, now Bairds. Up next is TF. My first beer with Bairds is just about ready to be put on tap. I found a better flavor in Crisp than Warminster, more bread crusts and a bit more toast, but other than that, it was a wash.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 01:09:13 pm »
OK, let's all lay the crack pipes down a second a talk. How's the quality of the beer made with TF? I think TF is the best tasting Maris Otter that you can find readily. Just wish they sealed the plastic lining to the outside of the bag. The whole plastic lining slides out with the malt if your not careful.

Agreed.