Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: English yeast in a APA  (Read 1588 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
English yeast in a APA
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:19:35 am »
I was planning on brewing an APA using wlp007,Dry English Ale yeast. From what I have read it should work well in an APA.
The shop had no 007, so asked if there was a wyeast equivilant.
He looked it up and said it was "whitbread"
Unfortunatly he gave me 1099 whitbread, instead of 1098 whitbread dry.
So how would 1099 work in an APA?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: English yeast in a APA
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:02:07 am »
May be slightly sweeter but you can make those English strains very neutral by fermenting very low 60s or upper 50s. If you're most concerned with attenuation you could mash a little lower than you had planned.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:06:24 am »
May be slightly sweeter but you can make those English strains very neutral by fermenting very low 60s or upper 50s. If you're most concerned with attenuation you could mash a little lower than you had planned.

+1

I think it will be great.  It will be a little fruitier and won't be as dry as 1098.  I'm not sure what you hop bill will be, so?  Like reverseapachemaster said, maybe adjust your mash for ferment-ability, ferment on the lower side of the temp range, and then enjoy the beer you brewed.  You may find out you really like 1099.......

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:07 am »
I've made great APA's with S-04. Its nice for a beer to ferment/clear such short order. Especially hoppy beers, which I'm always anxious to get on tap.

With English yeast in American styles, I like to start low and do a diacetyl rest (62F hold until after high krausen then let rise to 66F or so, holding until diacetyl negative).

This ensures the yeast clean up the diacetyl (an issue with high flocc'ers). Its also a nice time to add a dose of dry hop - quick extraction, with a bit of yeast in suspension to clean up any oxygen pickup.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/