Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann burner first impression  (Read 9721 times)

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Re: Blichmann burner first impression
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:02 am »
The blichman I bought is in a SS frame. The burner itself is cast iron. I'd love to have a ss burner for the longevity; probably the weight, too. Not sure what the weight difference is with ss, but it could be thinner-walled than cast iron which would probably keep the weight down.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 11:53:11 am »
I believe both burners are cast by a company in Valencia Ca. called Hurricane Products found here:
http://stores.hurricaneproducts.net/StoreFront.bok
Beer in various stages!

Offline remark88

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 01:03:42 pm »
So, is the burner used in the Blichmann basically the same thing as a Bayou Classic KAB4?  Looks like it from the pics.

Slightly off topic but still good info...Regarding the Blichmann vs KAB4 comparisons, in my experience the KAB4 won't perform like the Blichmann without a major modification (which I did and am very happy with).  I bought a KAB4 expecting fast boil times (in my keggle) and it took forever and 1/2 tank of propane.  I did a little research and found that the KAB4 is optimized for a flat bottom pot.  If you're using a keggle, the bottom of the pot is pretty far from the flame so you lose most of your heat to the air & around the sides.  If you brew in the winter, you'll have a nice warm garage & cool water :P  The Blichmann burner is a couple of inches higher so it works better on a keggle.  To "fix" the KAB4, I used an angle grinder to take the legs off and had a friend re-weld the burner about 1" from the top of the legs.  Then he welded flat steel to extend the top surface so that it holds the keggle and I don't have to worry about 10 gallons of hot water falling off of the burner.  I could only find a picture of the burner frame, but you'll get the idea.  I hope this advice helps someone who's trying to decide between Blichmann & a KAB4.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:28:08 pm »
You know what's most impressive about this? 
It's his first post and he already figured out how to add a picture!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:26 am »
reading the product description on northern brewer it seems to be that the blichman is all stainless while the kab4 is cast iron. I don't know if this is actually true but either it is and that explains the price difference or it isn't and northern brewer is doing some serious false advertising.
Blichmann's website only says stainless steel frame.

I've noticed there is a large gap on my KAB6 between the windscreen and pot. Even a little wind blows the heat away from the kettle and makes it hard to boil.  Blichmann's windscreen has a smaller gap.  I like the mod above, might have to try that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958