Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Traditional Mead ? Dry or Semi-sweet  (Read 2154 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Traditional Mead ? Dry or Semi-sweet
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:30:38 pm »
So i have made a traditional Tupelo Mead 100% Tupelo honey.  My ? is it finished at 1.000 and i am gonna enter it in a local fair comp and dont know what category to place it in.  It is around 10%ABV and is dry on the mouth however, it taste sweet to me because of the honey. Should i call it a Dry (24A) or a semi-sweet (24B)?

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Re: Traditional Mead ? Dry or Semi-sweet
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »
By the gravity reading its dry, and that is where I would enter it if you think the judges are experienced.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:49:09 pm »
Read the style guidelines while you drink some.  Enter it as whatever it tastes most like.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:48:49 pm »
and this is the problem with judging.......

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:28:10 pm »
1.000 is a far cry from being semi-sweet as far as wine goes, don't know if mead is different but I'd enter it as dry if it just had a hint of sweetness.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:49:00 pm »
This one sounds like a "tweener" - the hydrometer tells you it's dry and your tongue tells you it's sweet.  If you have enough bottles, you could enter it in both categories and see which one it does better in!

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:31 pm »
This one sounds like a "tweener" - the hydrometer tells you it's dry and your tongue tells you it's sweet.  If you have enough bottles, you could enter it in both categories and see which one it does better in!

This is what I was contemplating doing. They are only 375ml bottles and me and my buddy are the ones organizing the competition so I can always get back what is not used:)  its the idaho state fair comp http://wildhops.webs.com/homebrewcompetition.htm