Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who's Brewing Today? s  (Read 4794 times)

Offline rblack90

• Cellarman
Who's Brewing Today? s
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:32:24 am »
Brewing a Triple not according to style
13.5 lb Pilsner
1.5 Munich 1/2 10L 1/2 20L
4 oz Crystal 60
Tradition
Saaz
Wyeast Flanders Golden

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Who's Brewing Today? s
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:33:12 am »
I'm planning on brewing a more traditional tripel on Thur. of my yeast is ready by then.  This one....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/Westcoastmalle
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:30:52 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:10:39 pm »
Wednesday is my brew day this week. I think APA is up next.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:40:03 pm »
Just finishing the final cleanup from yesterdays brew.  It was my first attempt at an all Galaxy hopped Pale Ale.  All went well in the brew.  I think it's going to be a keeper!

Then I worked on an ESB recipe I have been wanting to brew.  So it's off to the LHBS for some Target and Saaz hops.  And for the starter I'll get going tonight, I think I'll get a pack of Wyeast 1968.  Or, I have been toying with the idea of using one I haven't tried.  Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale.  If they have a pack of this I may try it......

Wyeast 1469 description:
This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Enjoy your brew day!
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:00:57 pm »
Just finishing the final cleanup from yesterdays brew.  It was my first attempt at an all Galaxy hopped Pale Ale.  All went well in the brew.  I think it's going to be a keeper!

Then I worked on an ESB recipe I have been wanting to brew.  So it's off to the LHBS for some Target and Saaz hops.  And for the starter I'll get going tonight, I think I'll get a pack of Wyeast 1968.  Or, I have been toying with the idea of using one I haven't tried.  Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale.  If they have a pack of this I may try it......

Wyeast 1469 description:
This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Enjoy your brew day!

1469 is my favorite yeast. It makes great ESBs and Bitters. Love 1968 as well though. Let us know what you think!
Kyle M.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:42:08 pm »
Double/Imperial American Wheat
OG 1.075
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:48:46 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:17 pm »
I'll be making a yeast starter with WL 004 for an Irish Red that I'll be brewing Friday. I'll be bottling 10 gallons of a cherry stout and racking 5 gallons of a lemon wheat on Wednesday.
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
Think I might spend some time planning out a kitchen sink pale ale. I haven't done a really hoppy brew in a while and I have three partial sacks of grain that have begun to approach the 'been sitting around a little to long' point. Plus I have ~ a lb of centennial that I got at NHC and I want to use those up. For a little complexity I will toss in some hallertau and maybe some goldings (if I have any in the freezer).

The grain bill will have to be some combination of munich, pale, and pils. I have some various character malts hanging around but I don't know if I'll use any of those. Maybe some dark crystal and then some simple sugar to dry it out?

I guy in my club that does amazing 'real ale' cask conditioned stuff swears by this with session beers and I can't argue to strongly against him as his ordinary bitter rocks.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
The grain bill will have to be some combination of munich, pale, and pils. I have some various character malts hanging around but I don't know if I'll use any of those. Maybe some dark crystal and then some simple sugar to dry it out?

I've been looking at a pale ale recipe with cane sugar to dry it out.  I haven't brewed with sugar yet, just a lower temp mash to help get a drier fermentation and US-05 or 1056.  I would think that sugar should open up more yeast options.  I'm curious as to how this works out for you.

Anything with centennial and or goldings just has to be good!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:57:38 pm »

I've been looking at a pale ale recipe with cane sugar to dry it out.  I haven't brewed with sugar yet, just a lower temp mash to help get a drier fermentation and US-05 or 1056.  I would think that sugar should open up more yeast options.  I'm curious as to how this works out for you.

oh sugar to dry a beer out is great. I do that all the time. my big beers all get a healthy dose of simple sugars. even with a 148 mash temp a big 1.100 barley wine is not going to finish down around 1.010 without some simple sugars (or at least I have never made it do that).
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 05:15:50 pm »
oh sugar to dry a beer out is great. I do that all the time. my big beers all get a healthy dose of simple sugars. even with a 148 mash temp a big 1.100 barley wine is not going to finish down around 1.010 without some simple sugars (or at least I have never made it do that).

Very nice.  It's on my "try it" list.  I haven't done any truly big beers yet.  1.076 has been my largest.  But I do like a good barley wine and eventually will want to try brewing one and some other stronger ales. 

I know now who to ask advice from!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 05:16:02 pm »

You can get a plenty dry enough APA without sugar, especially using 1056/001/05. Mashing fairly low (150-152F)and using gypsum (sulfate) will dry an APA nicely if that's what you're after. Sugar does come in handy to dry things out when brewing a IIPA where reaching a high OG with malt alone could leave a very malty ,even cloying finish. I like dry APAs and IPAs too. I highly recommend getting Martin's Bru'nWater and using the Pale Ale profile. Together with the low mash temp, it'll get you there.
Jon H.

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:09:11 pm »
Just finishing the boil on a IPA.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 06:16:41 pm »

You can get a plenty dry enough APA without sugar, especially using 1056/001/05. Mashing fairly low (150-152F)and using gypsum (sulfate) will dry an APA nicely if that's what you're after. Sugar does come in handy to dry things out when brewing a IIPA where reaching a high OG with malt alone could leave a very malty ,even cloying finish. I like dry APAs and IPAs too. I highly recommend getting Martin's Bru'nWater and using the Pale Ale profile. Together with the low mash temp, it'll get you there.

yeah I don't think I would use sugar on an APA,  maybe an AIPA but probably not, and IIPA for sure, it's almost a must. Thing about british pale ales, particularly the really sessionable ones is that they tend to have a lot of character malt in an attempt to give what might otherwise be a somewhat thin and boring beer some... well... character. When you get a lot of crystal malt (particularly british medium or dark crystal malts) in a beer the flavor can start to get cloying particularly when the carbonation is very low as it is with cask conditioned beers. But by adding back some simple sugars you can get that sweet and flavourful character from the crystal malts while still having a very drinkable light bodied beer.

It seems somewhat counter-intuitive as we are all taught that you limit your crystal malts to prevent overly sweet beer and you only use simple sugar in big beers and/or Belgian beers but by playing each ingredient off the other you can really do some interesting stuff.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 06:11:28 am »

+1 to all of this.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/