Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who's Brewing Today? s  (Read 4793 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Who's Brewing Today? s
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:33 am »
Turns out the local newspaper is sending a reporter and photographer to cover my brew session Thur.   I'm teaching a beginning homebrewing class at a local rec center in Sept. and they want to publicize that.  This will be the 3rd time in the last 10-12 years that the local paper has come to a brew session.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 11:19:51 am »
You can get a plenty dry enough APA without sugar, especially using 1056/001/05. Mashing fairly low (150-152F)and using gypsum (sulfate) will dry an APA nicely if that's what you're after. Sugar does come in handy to dry things out when brewing a IIPA where reaching a high OG with malt alone could leave a very malty ,even cloying finish. I like dry APAs and IPAs too. I highly recommend getting Martin's Bru'nWater and using the Pale Ale profile. Together with the low mash temp, it'll get you there.

Thanks HoosierBrew!  I have utilized the lower mash temp and the 1056/001/05 yeasts.  It works well.  I use RO water to brew with (as our Indiana water isn't great).  So per gallon of water I add 1.4 grams of gypsum and .24 grams of calcium chloride.  I think Martin recommends more gypsum (2 grams?).  I haven't used any salt additions in my brewing yet.  So, I have started here and have been happy with my APA/EPA/IPA beers.  For bitters it's different amounts.  And I plan on doing more in this area.  I am about to start doing small batch experimentation and water chemistry will be part of it.  Anyway, I'm drifting here.  Back to the sugar..... I ran across a George Strong recipe that has cane sugar in an APA.  It also has a hop schedule that is WAY out of an APA range.  I think he must be trying to really accentuate the hops? There is less malt involved as the sugar makes up .010 of a 1.058 OG and 1.5% of a 6.6% ABV with WLP060 yeast.  I guess I'm curious if this may open up the possibility of getting more of a yeast choice available than 1056/001/05/007/1098 etc, into the mix.  What do you think?
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:51 am »
Not brewing, per se, just gonna get a starter going with some of the White Labs Budjevice yeast.  Then do a smallish first batch this weekend to ultimately do a few back to back lagers at 10 gallons each.  Got some floor malted Bohemian to use with those....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 11:50:07 am »
Kegged a blonde. Now mashing my APA. Gotta pull dry hops from an IPA and get it chilling for gel and carb. Then all the clean up... busy day

Offline rblack90

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »
Triple fermenting happily at 69 going to give it 1.5
lb of sugar tomorrow.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »
Brewed another 5 gal batch of a rye IPA, yawn!  I really love this stuff especially after working with Bru'n Water.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »
Brewed another 5 gal batch of a rye IPA, yawn!  I really love this stuff especially after working with Bru'n Water.

Hydraulic - is there something about a rye beer that really shows the benefit of good water chemistry?

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 09:44:46 pm »
Hydraulic - is there something about a rye beer that really shows the benefit of good water chemistry?
I really like the pungent rye flavor in many beers.  I am not so sure water amendment does much to accentuate rye tastes but it does wonders for the hops and the malt.  I look for the hop burst.  The flavors and aroma are much better.   
AHA Member 900001775

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 10:06:10 pm »
I really like the pungent rye flavor in many beers.  I am not so sure water amendment does much to accentuate rye tastes but it does wonders for the hops and the malt.  I look for the hop burst.  The flavors and aroma are much better.

I see. Thanks.