Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brown sugar or molasses  (Read 8387 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Brown sugar or molasses
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:40 am »
This is my first post, though I have been lurking for a while.

I started brewing back in 2000 when my wife bought me a kit for my birthday. I brewed for close to 6 years, then took some time off to work on my doctorate and have returned to brewing. Thank God someone early in my brewing recommended keeping notes!

One of the porters I brewed back in the day was a robust porter. The recipe was:
          7.0 lbs  Maris Otter
          1.0 lb   Chocolate malt
          0.5 lbs  Special B
          0.5 lbs  60L crystal
          1.0 lb   Flaked barley
          1.0 lb   Brown sugar
Hopped with Willamette to 35 IBU.

I was thinking about changing the brown sugar to molasses. I have used brown sugar and molasses in different recipes and looking at my notes, the molasses in brews other than porters seems to give a rum-like taste.

What do you think? Brown sugar or molasses?

Any and all comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Ralph R.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Brown sugar or molasses
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:30 am »
brown sugar = white sugar + molasses

If you want more of what molasses gives then use molasses.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:23:44 am »
It depends on the molasses and what flavor you like.  Personally, I don't think I'd enjoy a beer made with that much blackstrap molasses.  But the flavor of molasses would go well in a porter, so don't be afraid to use some.

Btw, welcome to the forum, or congrats on your first post, or whatever seems most appropriate ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:10:03 am »
I use 4 oz of Barbados molasses (sweeter than blackstrap) in my stout and it's noticeable.

A little goes a long way. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:05:21 am »
It is my experience that molasses, especially what is readily available in the states, is best used in small amounts.  I have used it in stouts and the flavor really comes through.  Blackstrap often gives a burnt sugar flavor which is not to my liking.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 08:19:40 am »
One lb of brown sugar is mostly white sugar (I'd guess > 95%) with a little mollasses added (a few Tablespoons probably). The mollasses portion will give good flavor - but could easily be swapped out for actual mollasses. The white sugar portion will add alcohol and lower the body. This may or may not be what you want. Certainly adding sugar and mollasses separately will give you more control over the final flavor.

Don't add a whole lb of mollasses though, that's a lot.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:17:12 am »
Grandma's sells two types of molasses,http://www.grandmasmolasses.com/products/, original, which which is not molasses at all, and robust, which is a first molasses.  Blackstrap is a third molasses.  Third molasses has had water evaporated out of it three times and sugar crystallized out of it 3 times.  Blackstrap if you can get it in bulk is not particularly expensive; I got at gallon for ~$15 in Amish country.  It is sometimes used to feed livestock.  Too me, blackstrap is not particularly sweet and has a liquorice flavor in the finish.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:58:36 am »
Grandma's sells two types of molasses,http://www.grandmasmolasses.com/products/, original, which which is not molasses at all, and robust, which is a first molasses.  Blackstrap is a third molasses.  Third molasses has had water evaporated out of it three times and sugar crystallized out of it 3 times.  Blackstrap if you can get it in bulk is not particularly expensive; I got at gallon for ~$15 in Amish country.  It is sometimes used to feed livestock.  Too me, blackstrap is not particularly sweet and has a liquorice flavor in the finish.
I had no idea!

I've had 100% blackstrap molasses that was diluted and fermented for ... something else. It tasted very salty and minerally without the sugars.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:52:52 pm »
I believe Grandma's Original is the same thing as Barbados.  Unsulphured and made from sorghum, IIRC.

As you said, technically not molasses.  But it works for me.  It's much lighter in flavor than blackstrap.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 01:39:33 pm »
I believe Grandma's Original is the same thing as Barbados.  Unsulphured and made from sorghum, IIRC.

As you said, technically not molasses.  But it works for me.  It's much lighter in flavor than blackstrap.
Their website says original is concentrated sugarcane juice.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:27:30 pm »
The blackstrap has all of the minerals concentrated, including iron.

I do like Grandma's Original, which is cane juice as you point out.

Edit - one should try and avoid sulfur molasses.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:29:11 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 04:20:20 pm »
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I was at my LHBS and they think the same as many of you have mentioned; a pound of molasses would be too much. I might go with a pound of brown sugar and maybe 2-3 ounces of molasses. Unsulfured, of course.

Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Ralph R.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 06:38:33 pm »
Just a correction, I got a gallon of Golden Barrel blackstrap molasses for $7.79 + tax in Amish country.  http://www.goldenbarrel.com/blackstrap-baking-molasses.php

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:55 am »
That's just about a lifetime supply...

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:10:21 am »
That's just about a lifetime supply...

As my daughter would say, "totes!"