Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pickles and other fermented foods  (Read 25420 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Pickles and other fermented foods
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2013, 07:10:08 am »
The kimchi experiment seems to be going well. I'll try it this weekend. Unfortunately, my wife may never let me make it again.

Yep, it does get a bit of an odor, but the result is yummy.  And the longer it goes, the better it gets.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2013, 10:40:14 am »
Not quite pickles but...I tried a new Pepper Sauce recipe using Habanero peppers from my garden. However, I used 24 fully ripened Habanero peppers (seeded). It is really tasty. :)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=57326&origin=detail&servings=64&metric=false

Sounds pretty yummy, Ron.  I need to try that sometime (hint).

Yup...next time your down to brew I'll hook you up. :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
The kimchi experiment seems to be going well. I'll try it this weekend. Unfortunately, my wife may never let me make it again.
Sounds about right.  On the other hand, my wife complains less about my less odoriferous experiments than she used to.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2013, 02:48:38 am »
Sounds about right.  On the other hand, my wife complains less about my less odoriferous experiments than she used to.

Ah, relativity. I hope that works for me. We tried the kimchi last night and I think it tastes fantastic. My wife didn't mind it, but she can't get over the smell. I don't think it's that bad. It doesn't help that I laugh when she says she going to hurl.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:38 pm »

Ah, relativity. I hope that works for me. We tried the kimchi last night and I think it tastes fantastic. My wife didn't mind it, but she can't get over the smell. I don't think it's that bad. It doesn't help that I laugh when she says she going to hurl.
I could see how the laughter would be counterproductive :)  Hot sauce is much less stinky and I use it more than kimchi or sauerkraut anyway.  But the peppers might be harder to come by where you are.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:23 am »

I could see how the laughter would be counterproductive :)  Hot sauce is much less stinky and I use it more than kimchi or sauerkraut anyway.  But the peppers might be harder to come by where you are.

Wife threatened to burn the house down. So is it the cabbage that stinks so bad? Maybe cucumber kimchi would be tolerable? I'll try to grow some peppers this summer and give hot sauce a try if I succeed. Previous attempts at chili growing failed pretty miserably.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2013, 01:34:45 am »
Wife threatened to burn the house down. So is it the cabbage that stinks so bad? Maybe cucumber kimchi would be tolerable? I'll try to grow some peppers this summer and give hot sauce a try if I succeed. Previous attempts at chili growing failed pretty miserably.
Yes, it is probably just the cabbage.  It's in the brassica family of plants with mustard and broccoli and such.  They contain sulfur compounds and tend to get stinky when cooked too.  When I made sauerkraut my wife complained the smell was coming in to the house from the garage.  But I can ferment hot sauce in the kitchen on top of the fridge and she just wonders when it's going to be ready to eat.
Tom Schmidlin