Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So I have a bland lager on tap...  (Read 4890 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
So I have a bland lager on tap...
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:19:29 am »
I was contemplating dumping it because it's just blah. It's a 4 gallon batch, mostly Rahr pils, and a little munich, and I think a little acid malt to bring down the pH (used RO water with enough calcium chloride to get to 50ppm and pH to 5.4 as per Bru'n water). Mittelfruh to about 18 IBUs, and fermented with 34/70, 5.3%. It's just blah. I'm finding I don't like Rahr pils, just don't care for the malt character. I'm thinking it has to be the malt I don't like about this beer. I've brewed essentially the same recipe with my tap water, RO water, US-05 fermented at 58F, and 34/70 at 48F. Has the same flavor I just don't like.

So, last night I was lying sleepless in bed, and the thought popped in my head that maybe I could keg hop it with something. Maybe that'll turn it around, I don't know.

What do y'all think? Aside from the malt flavor I don't care for, the beer tastes pretty clean.
Or is there anything else I could do to make it so I don't want to dump this beer? I have several others waiting to be drank. Sucks because it's not bad enough to dump, but it's not really that good.
Thoughts? Concerns?

Cheersk und beersk!

Jesse
Jesse

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: So I have a bland lager on tap...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:56:36 am »
Our local Rock Bottom just had a REALLY nice Pils on tap that was dry-hopped with Cascade. Great beer.

If you've got the keg space, you could split it and do some dry hop experiments. A light, 'blah' beer is a great base.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:54 am »
I don't have the keg space unfortunately. I have a chest freezer that fits 4 kegs, 2 taps. All space is taken. So...I could pick something and dry hop it in a bag. I've heard it take a few weeks at kegerator temps for the hops to start peaking.
Jesse

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:18:44 pm »
Dry hopping it might help. When I do it I use a women's white knee-high nylon stocking with a stainless steel nut tied off in the bottom/toe to weigh it down. Drop it in quickly & close the lid fast or you'll have an old faithful on your hands. Been there! Leave it at room temp for a week or two and then back into the kegerator. You can leave the hops in the keg for the entire time as long as it stays cold.

Another option is to make a Jalapeno tincher and add 2-3 ml to the pint before you pour it.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:22:01 pm »
I made my first "IPL" back in the day in a similar situation. I took a blander than intended pale lager, threw a few oz of hops into a paint strainer bag, and into the keg. Made it alot more interesting.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:32:23 pm »
Thanks guys. I think I may drop some hops in tonight or tomorrow and let them sit at room temp for a week or so. There's maybe 3 or 3 1/2 gallons in the keg, so...2 ounces be plenty?
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:11 pm »
Thanks guys. I think I may drop some hops in tonight or tomorrow and let them sit at room temp for a week or so. There's maybe 3 or 3 1/2 gallons in the keg, so...2 ounces be plenty?

Yes and you can suspend the hop bag by fishing line, if you fear it may become too grassy (or just drink it quickly).  I use those cheap stainless tea balls and just leave it in the whole time.  Lagers with some nice dry hops are a welcome change from IPA's for me!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »

Yes and you can suspend the hop bag by fishing line, if you fear it may become too grassy (or just drink it quickly).  I use those cheap stainless tea balls and just leave it in the whole time.  Lagers with some nice dry hops are a welcome change from IPA's for me!
I think it just may be. I think I've decided two things from this beer: I don't like Rahr Pils malt and 34/70 is too bland. I've got some 2013 NZ hops coming in the mail tomorrow, so may choose a couple ounces from those and dry hop. An ounce each of Kohatu and Nelson Sauvin maybe?
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:08 pm »
Throw a pinch or two of gypsum in the glass to see if that brings out the hop flavor more.  I know that Czech Pilsners are almost mineral free, but I like some minerals in my german pilsners.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:11:51 pm by narvin »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »
IIRC I used ~ 4oz of 4 "C"s in nearly 5 gallons (it was what I had in the freezer).  BTW I brought the keg into warm for 4 or 5 days at room temp. It obviously didn't have IPA bitterness, but the hop flavor and aroma were definitely there. It was good stuff.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:45:05 pm »
Throw a pinch or two of gypsum in the glass to see if that brings out the hop flavor more.  I know that Czech Pilsners are almost mineral free, but I like some minerals in my german pilsners.
This one was intended to be a helles, but there is nothing helles about it. Rahr pils I think was the absolute wrong choice and perhaps the yeast was also. But I did think about trying a little gypsum and I think I may try that.
I thought about just tossing a bag full of hops in and letting them roam free, but I fear it would want to suck up into the dip tube. Depending on how much beer is in there, I'll just clamp the bag to the pressure relief valve stem.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »
Boil your bratwurst in it

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:00 pm »

You beat me to it.
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:42 pm »
That's a fantastic idea. I was thinking of grilling some brats this week...crap, now I'm wanting to dry hop it to try some new hops. What to do...
Suppose I can do both.

Or maybe I could cook my sauerkraut in it, grill the brats, then put the brats in with the sauerkraut. Yum!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:01:56 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 03:57:17 pm »
Normally when I cook brats I boil them first in some beer and sliced onion untio cooked through, then throw them on the grill. I really like to fry bacon, chop into bits and fry my kraut with bacon and a little bacon grease. Oh, man, is it good. You can cut the beer down with some water if you want to save some for dry hopping. I go 2 parts beer to 1 part water.