Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who Uses a Blow-Off Tube and When?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Who Uses a Blow-Off Tube and When?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:35 pm »
I use them on full carboys and predictably strong fermenting beers like hefes.

I have never been sorry that I used a blow-off tube, but........... I can certainly say that I have been sorry that I didn't.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 10:27:47 pm »
Unless I'm brewing a lager at 54F which I know won't blow I use a blowoff hose, period, no exceptions.  I brew in a stainless conical locked in a big fermentation chamber that I don't open for 2 weeks so I need to feel comfortable that the blowoff is contained
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 08:56:38 am »
Weizen yeasts and Belgian yeasts produce copious amounts of krausen.  Plus I think the viscosity of big beers contributes to more krausen formation.

I don't generally use one, instead I manage by providing appropriate head space.

I have a question though, do you think a  blowoff provides any benefits other than preventing messes?  Specifically, does it help you get rid of braunhefe that would otherwise fall back and affect beer taste?

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 09:17:13 am »
Weizen yeasts and Belgian yeasts produce copious amounts of krausen.  Plus I think the viscosity of big beers contributes to more krausen formation.

I don't generally use one, instead I manage by providing appropriate head space.

I have a question though, do you think a  blowoff provides any benefits other than preventing messes?  Specifically, does it help you get rid of braunhefe that would otherwise fall back and affect beer taste?

only if you intentionally limit headspace. but then you are potentially blowing off a lot of good yeast at the same time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 09:28:21 am »
Specifically, does it help you get rid of braunhefe that would otherwise fall back and affect beer taste?

I believe Kai has cited that as an advantage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:50:29 am »
I've worried about losing the yeast but I suppose its not doing much when its suspended in the krausen anyway, and by the time it drops the beer is almost done.

Getting rid of braunhefe might be more of an issue in a German pils or Munich helles.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 10:44:47 am »
I find that I'm using a blow off hose more often than I have in the past. It's cheap insurance and easy to setup. My lagers don't require the use of one, but most of my ales do. It primarily depends upon yeast strain, head space and fermentation temperature as to the need for one.
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:59 am »
I do like the idea of fermenting in a carboy/BB with not a lot of head space, that would minimize oxidation without the need to transfer to secondary.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 11:33:14 am »
I do like the idea of fermenting in a carboy/BB with not a lot of head space, that would minimize oxidation without the need to transfer to secondary.

You shouldn't need to worry about oxidation as long as you don't open the fermentor frequently. The CO2 will drive off all the air. Secondary is meant to get the beer off of the yeast and actually adds to the chance of oxidation if not done correctly.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 11:52:21 am »
I know theres a protective layer of CO2 when things are actively fermenting, but this dissipates fairly quickly once no new gas is generated if the seal isn't perfect.  I haven't had issues with yeast-derived off flavors, but I transfer to secondary before the fermentation is done to protect against oxidation when I'm brewing a delicate beer style.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO