Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experience with Saflager 34/70?  (Read 20283 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Experience with Saflager 34/70?
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:10:11 pm »
So I was able to get my Hands on 4 pks of fresh 34/70 for$10. I have never used it and was wondering what everyone thought. Thinking of a pilsner and maybe a Dortmunder? Does it give any character ? Malty per say

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Experience with Saflager 34/70?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:26 pm »
Only a little experience and the beer was a good tasting German lager.

Often said to be the same as wlp830 or Wyeast 2124.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:12:26 pm »
Only a little experience and the beer was a good tasting German lager.

Often said to be the same as wlp830 or Wyeast 2124.

I've used it 3-4 times and have pretty much the same assessment.  I know I used it for German pils, but I can't recall what else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:14:22 am »
I use it extensively & find it is excellent for the maltier German styles: Maibock, Oktoberfest, Vienna, Schwarz, even Helles.  It makes a pretty decent Pilsner too.

Long long lag time when you pitch it the first time. Like 48 hrs or more. Start it in a beer under 1.055. I usually do a Helles or Schwarz at around 1.048-1.050 to get it going. Then I usually re-use 4 times, it takes off like a rocket then. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:00:54 am »
It's a pretty bland yeast. Or clean, however you want to look at it. No need for diacetyl rest as it really doesn't produce any, doesn't hurt to do one anyway. As far as dry yeasts go, it's a good one, I'd say.
Jesse

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:04 am »
I find it to be pretty clean. I use it in American lagers and lagers I don't really mind not having a bit more malt character left behind in. For lagers that need a bit more malt presence, I usually use WLP830.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:42:54 am »
Perhaps the best beer I have made was with 34/70. It was a Czech Dark Lager. Very malty. I am going to brew it again with 833 to see what the impact of the yeast was, but that was one fine brew.
Kyle M.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:51 am »
Perhaps the best beer I have made was with 34/70. It was a Czech Dark Lager. Very malty. I am going to brew it again with 833 to see what the impact of the yeast was, but that was one fine brew.
It'll be better, trust me. Maybe you should try one of the Czech strains for that one.
Jesse

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:25 am »
I currently have a CAP on tap that was brewed with 34/70 and it is out of this world good!  Especially considering how hot and dry it is right now. The recipe for 10 gallons of 1.055 CAP:

13 lbs. Rahr Six row (it was the last of my 6-row, or I would have used all 6-row)
5 lbs. Malteurop Two-row
4 lbs. flaked corn (and the last of my corn)
6 oz. acid malt

Mashed between 145-155°F for 90 min.

2 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfrueh FWH
1.5 oz. Cluster 90 min
1 oz. Tettnanger 15 min
1 oz. Strisselspalt at knockout.

Fermented at 52° for one month, lagered at 35°F for 10 weeks. Crystal clear, creamy white head, beautiful.  8)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:48:51 am »
I used it a number of times years ago before the price doubled.  It did make a nice clean malty lager, but I found the first pitch anyway, it really needed a diacetyl rest. 
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 12:50:46 pm »
It's a great yeast.  I used it for a Munich helles.  For me it did not produce any diacetyl, which is worlds different from a lot of other liquid lager yeasts that have thrown a lot of diacetyl for me.  Sulfur wasn't bad either, low when young and totally gone within a couple weeks of bottling.  I think this is going to be my primary lager yeast from here on -- cheap, easy, clean, and very effective.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 10:33:35 am »
It's a great yeast.  I used it for a Munich helles.  For me it did not produce any diacetyl, which is worlds different from a lot of other liquid lager yeasts that have thrown a lot of diacetyl for me.  Sulfur wasn't bad either, low when young and totally gone within a couple weeks of bottling.  I think this is going to be my primary lager yeast from here on -- cheap, easy, clean, and very effective.

Is it still your primary lager yeast?

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 11:06:24 am »

Actually no, I don't have a primary.  I continue to play around with different yeasts.  Currently my favorite go-to lager yeast is Wyeast 2206, and I think it might stay that way.  But W-34/70 is a great yeast anyway.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 12:44:36 pm »

Actually no, I don't have a primary.  I continue to play around with different yeasts.  Currently my favorite go-to lager yeast is Wyeast 2206, and I think it might stay that way.  But W-34/70 is a great yeast anyway.

I was hoping you would see this  ;) I'll give the yeast a whirl and see what happens. Cheers!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 10:39:04 am »
It's a very forgiving lager strain and cleanly ferments even in the sixties. It is, however, bland as far as lager strains go. It works well for those hoppier craft lagers where the nuances of other strains might be lost or even undesirable.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing