General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Experience with Saflager 34/70?

<< < (3/6) > >>

dmtaylor:
It's a great yeast.  I used it for a Munich helles.  For me it did not produce any diacetyl, which is worlds different from a lot of other liquid lager yeasts that have thrown a lot of diacetyl for me.  Sulfur wasn't bad either, low when young and totally gone within a couple weeks of bottling.  I think this is going to be my primary lager yeast from here on -- cheap, easy, clean, and very effective.

JohnnyC:

--- Quote from: dmtaylor on August 20, 2013, 11:50:46 AM ---It's a great yeast.  I used it for a Munich helles.  For me it did not produce any diacetyl, which is worlds different from a lot of other liquid lager yeasts that have thrown a lot of diacetyl for me.  Sulfur wasn't bad either, low when young and totally gone within a couple weeks of bottling.  I think this is going to be my primary lager yeast from here on -- cheap, easy, clean, and very effective.

--- End quote ---

Is it still your primary lager yeast?

dmtaylor:

--- Quote from: JohnnyC on July 19, 2016, 09:33:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: dmtaylor on August 20, 2013, 11:50:46 AM ---It's a great yeast.  I used it for a Munich helles.  For me it did not produce any diacetyl, which is worlds different from a lot of other liquid lager yeasts that have thrown a lot of diacetyl for me.  Sulfur wasn't bad either, low when young and totally gone within a couple weeks of bottling.  I think this is going to be my primary lager yeast from here on -- cheap, easy, clean, and very effective.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Actually no, I don't have a primary.  I continue to play around with different yeasts.  Currently my favorite go-to lager yeast is Wyeast 2206, and I think it might stay that way.  But W-34/70 is a great yeast anyway.

JohnnyC:

--- Quote from: dmtaylor on July 19, 2016, 10:06:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: JohnnyC on July 19, 2016, 09:33:35 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Actually no, I don't have a primary.  I continue to play around with different yeasts.  Currently my favorite go-to lager yeast is Wyeast 2206, and I think it might stay that way.  But W-34/70 is a great yeast anyway.

--- End quote ---

I was hoping you would see this  ;) I'll give the yeast a whirl and see what happens. Cheers!

reverseapachemaster:
It's a very forgiving lager strain and cleanly ferments even in the sixties. It is, however, bland as far as lager strains go. It works well for those hoppier craft lagers where the nuances of other strains might be lost or even undesirable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version