General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Experience with Saflager 34/70?

<< < (2/3) > >>

AmandaK:
I find it to be pretty clean. I use it in American lagers and lagers I don't really mind not having a bit more malt character left behind in. For lagers that need a bit more malt presence, I usually use WLP830.

kmccaf:
Perhaps the best beer I have made was with 34/70. It was a Czech Dark Lager. Very malty. I am going to brew it again with 833 to see what the impact of the yeast was, but that was one fine brew.

beersk:

--- Quote from: kmccaf on August 14, 2013, 06:42:54 AM ---Perhaps the best beer I have made was with 34/70. It was a Czech Dark Lager. Very malty. I am going to brew it again with 833 to see what the impact of the yeast was, but that was one fine brew.

--- End quote ---
It'll be better, trust me. Maybe you should try one of the Czech strains for that one.

chumley:
I currently have a CAP on tap that was brewed with 34/70 and it is out of this world good!  Especially considering how hot and dry it is right now. The recipe for 10 gallons of 1.055 CAP:

13 lbs. Rahr Six row (it was the last of my 6-row, or I would have used all 6-row)
5 lbs. Malteurop Two-row
4 lbs. flaked corn (and the last of my corn)
6 oz. acid malt

Mashed between 145-155°F for 90 min.

2 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfrueh FWH
1.5 oz. Cluster 90 min
1 oz. Tettnanger 15 min
1 oz. Strisselspalt at knockout.

Fermented at 52° for one month, lagered at 35°F for 10 weeks. Crystal clear, creamy white head, beautiful.  8)

redbeerman:
I used it a number of times years ago before the price doubled.  It did make a nice clean malty lager, but I found the first pitch anyway, it really needed a diacetyl rest. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version