Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boston  (Read 3022 times)

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
Boston
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:58 pm »
Heading to Boston next week and will have a free day to check out the local breweries. I know Boston Beer Co and Harpoon. Does anyone have any information on these, tours, tasting rooms, anything really? Also, any other smaller breweries that are worth checking out? I'll have a subway pass to get around with. I'll post back when I get back with my travels.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:27:53 am »
Check out Cambridge Brewing Company for sure. It's been a while since I was in boston but that was the best around when I lived there last. I don't think Pretty Things has a location to visit but pick some of their beers up. they do some good stuff.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:37:42 am »
And just down the street from Cambridge is Meadhall.  Huge amount of taps and meads.

Harpoon recently opened their beer hall ( I haven't been yet ) and the tours run pretty frequent. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 05:16:25 pm »
Thanks for the ideas. Pretty Things looks interesting. Will have to try those. I was planning on wandering around and just walking into places I see.

Offline kkleister

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:47:35 pm »
Brewery tours are fine, but there are lots of good craft beer bars in Boston - I would recommend Bukowski's, Deep Ellum, The Lower Depths, and the Sunset Grill - There is a Yardhouse near Fenway, but that's a different kind of crowd then you'll find in the other bars.  There is a brewpub called Boston Beer Works near Fenway, too - there are several brewpubs outside of Boston - Watch City in Waltham MA, John Harvard's in Framingham, British Beer Company; a restaurant in Worcester called Peppercorn's is home to Wormtown Brewery - I recommend it highly - If you want to travel, Cape Ann Brewing in Cape Ann on the North Shore is a brewpub on the harbor (you can get your Perfect Storm fix there, too)  Check out Beer Advocate for lots more info on breweries, etc in and around Boston and MA generally. Cheers!

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »
Boston Beer Works. Pretty good beers, at least when I went through 2 years ago. They treated me pretty well, and on that fact alone I would recommend them.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28:21 pm »
Brewery tours are fine, but there are lots of good craft beer bars in Boston - I would recommend Bukowski's, Deep Ellum, The Lower Depths, and the Sunset Grill - There is a Yardhouse near Fenway, but that's a different kind of crowd then you'll find in the other bars.  There is a brewpub called Boston Beer Works near Fenway, too - there are several brewpubs outside of Boston - Watch City in Waltham MA, John Harvard's in Framingham, British Beer Company; a restaurant in Worcester called Peppercorn's is home to Wormtown Brewery - I recommend it highly - If you want to travel, Cape Ann Brewing in Cape Ann on the North Shore is a brewpub on the harbor (you can get your Perfect Storm fix there, too)  Check out Beer Advocate for lots more info on breweries, etc in and around Boston and MA generally. Cheers!

+1 to bukowskis. a little aggressively hipster but great beer list
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 06:16:49 am »

Thanks for the info. I don't necessarily want to go on tours. Most of them are the same minus how they got started. I just wanted to try some good beer that I can't get here in Colorado. I will try Bukowski's. An afternoon of good beer and people watching on some hipsters sounds great.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:22:06 am »
If you like Boston Beer Co., they brew Brick Red - only available at bars in Boston and Colonial Ale - only available at Union Oyster House, the oldest continuously operating restaurant in the US.  http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/Pages/history.html

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958