Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cool trick  (Read 4525 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Cool trick
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:15 pm »
You can copper plate your drill stir by leaving it in starsan with your wort chiller

narvin

Re: Cool trick
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:33:52 pm »
Alchemy!  Or witchcraft.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:18:57 pm »
Why do you put your wort chiller in starsan? 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »
I know you can boil it, but it's only an ounce of starsan, plus I use a hop spider and I'm not good at juggling 212° wet things while drinking homebrew. Plus it's the only way I know to copper plate cheap tools lol!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:36:56 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:49:51 pm »
Huh... That's rather cool...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »
I know, right? I'm wondering what cool steel thing around the house needs copper plating next. By the way, it stays put. The pic is after trying to scrub it off with scotch brite

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:45:02 am »
I know you can boil it, but it's only an ounce of starsan, plus I use a hop spider and I'm not good at juggling 212° wet things while drinking homebrew. Plus it's the only way I know to copper plate cheap tools lol!

Back when I used an immersion chiller and something like a hop spider I would just put the chiller in before the 1st hop addition and leave it in the whole time

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:28:13 am »
I know, right? I'm wondering what cool steel thing around the house needs copper plating next. By the way, it stays put. The pic is after trying to scrub it off with scotch brite

It's taking the copper from your plate chiller though.  Probably not a good idea to let it soak in Star-San. Just sayin.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:55 am »
Cool!

I use starsan on my IC. I like to drop it in after flameout instead of 5-10 minutes prior. I'm not letting the IC soak in the starsan however- I'm looking for about a minute contact time and then into the wort.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:44:42 am »
Cool!

I use starsan on my IC. I like to drop it in after flameout instead of 5-10 minutes prior. I'm not letting the IC soak in the starsan however- I'm looking for about a minute contact time and then into the wort.

I do exactly as Euge does.  The wort is still hot, but not boiling.  A quick dip in star san and then into the pot.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:48:43 pm »
I don't normally leave it like that. Got busy, distracted, etc etc ad nasium

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:44:49 pm »
What is the name, where did you find it and  are you content with that drill stirrer?
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 04:18:03 pm »
What is the name, where did you find it and  are you content with that drill stirrer?

It's called a MixStir.  I got it at the LHBS, but they're available online.  Very satisfied.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 06:56:40 pm »
I think it looks great. Never would have thought of that really; jay wouldn't have occurred to me. My stir thing has plastic wings, so they wouldn't pick up the copper...or would they? Might have to try.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:23 am »
I have one just like that, got it at  menards, paint stirrer, don't know what lhbs charges but I think I paid about 5 bucks for mine. I love it, I rigged a ceiling fan motor to mine, it has 3 speeds and is reversible, in case you wrapped your chiller the wrong way.