Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pressure question  (Read 5980 times)

Offline halenrush

• Cellarman
  • Humboldt County, CA
pressure question
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:28:25 am »
So I have two taps, but will have three kegs of beer hopefully by the end of the month.  I want to bulk age one for a few months. 

If I have a carbonated keg of beer at about 10psi, then take it off the regulator, will that carbonated beer stay at 10 psi or will it eventually be absorbed into the beer?  And if it does, will there be some degree of c02 on top of the beer?  And when I finally decide to dispense, I should be able to hook it up and go, right?

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: pressure question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:58:07 am »
I make it a point to have the beer carbed to the level I want before disconnecting to store for an extended period of time. If you have it carbed like you say and then top off to 10psi it all really depends on what level of carbonation your beer is set at. Highly carbed beers wont absorb more CO2 but lightly carbed beers will. I like being able to connect, chill and serve.

I learned this after I had a beer toped off to 20 psi (just in case state of mind) and I did not label it as such. Connected it to my gas out at 6-8 psi and flooded the regulator(full keg that had the gas line just below the bev line). The regulator got a thorough cleaning, and a check valve was added.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:23:19 pm »
i usually carbonate my beers to the volumes appropriate for that beer. once you've actually got it to that level you can disconnect it and it will stay carbonated indefinitely. [provided you have no leaks.]

i would assume you could also age beer uncarbonated [maybe with a few psi just to keep the seals on the keg tight].

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:49:16 am »
i would assume you could also age beer uncarbonated [maybe with a few psi just to keep the seals on the keg tight].

I usually age my beers in the keg uncarbonated (puged w/CO2). Although I don't know if there's any difference aging carbonated or not.

This is the way that works for me.  8)
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:20:48 am »
i usually carbonate my beers to the volumes appropriate for that beer. once you've actually got it to that level you can disconnect it and it will stay carbonated indefinitely. [provided you have no leaks.]
I will agree with you.
Once beer is fully carbonated and you do not have any leak in keg, your CO2 level will stay the same.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:59:04 am »
I will agree with you.
Once beer is fully carbonated and you do not have any leak in keg, your CO2 level will stay the same.
Assuming a constant temp. 
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 01:07:25 pm »
I will agree with you.
Assuming a constant temp. 

ah, good point.

if you carbonate to 3vols @ 45f and then store it at 60f, then bring it down to 45f again before you serve, you'll have to wait for the co2 to redissolve into solution, since the time at 60f will push it out and into the head space. you can still do this, just be sure to refrigerate it a week or so before serving. you won't even have to hook it up to the gas, since the co2 will automagically dissolve back into solution given enough time.