Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So I have a bland lager on tap...  (Read 4854 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: So I have a bland lager on tap...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:32 am »
Normally when I cook brats I boil them first in some beer and sliced onion untio cooked through, then throw them on the grill. I really like to fry bacon, chop into bits and fry my kraut with bacon and a little bacon grease. Oh, man, is it good. You can cut the beer down with some water if you want to save some for dry hopping. I go 2 parts beer to 1 part water.
I boiled brats last night in maybe 2qts of beer. It turned out really good. Wasn't sure if my kraut was still good, smelled like kraut, so I used it. Not sick yet, so I must be in the clear. I'll dry hop the beer tonight when my hops come in the mail. I may go with an oz of Kohatu and an oz of Nelson Sauvin. Hope they aren't wasted, just hated the malt flavor of Rahr pils...I don't know what else it could be. That same flavor has shown up in 3 or 4 beers made with the same malt, different yeasts, different water. Like stale bread or something. It's not the same issue I was having before (butterscotch beers after a week on gas), I've resolved that.
Jesse

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 08:13:13 am »
Boil your bratwurst in it
That's a fantastic idea. I was thinking of grilling some brats this week...crap, now I'm wanting to dry hop it to try some new hops. What to do...
Suppose I can do both.

Or maybe I could cook my sauerkraut in it, grill the brats, then put the brats in with the sauerkraut. Yum!
Put some in a growler for the brats, dry hop the rest. Or just cook in dry hopped beer, no harm.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:23 am »
Yes and you can suspend the hop bag by fishing line, if you fear it may become too grassy (or just drink it quickly).  I use those cheap stainless tea balls and just leave it in the whole time.  Lagers with some nice dry hops are a welcome change from IPA's for me!
I think it just may be. I think I've decided two things from this beer: I don't like Rahr Pils malt and 34/70 is too bland. I've got some 2013 NZ hops coming in the mail tomorrow, so may choose a couple ounces from those and dry hop. An ounce each of Kohatu and Nelson Sauvin maybe?

I've done a few hoppy lagers and I really like the combo of an APA-like hop character with a Pils/Munich type malt bill and lager yeast. Go for it.

Where did you get the Kohatu if I might ask? Didn't know it was available in the US yet.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 11:56:26 am »
Farmhouse Brewing Supply has a bunch of the 2013 crop from overseas. I have some Best Malz pils now I'm planning to use, so that should be a couple steps up from the Rahr. I have an IPA on tap right now that was just 2-row, munich, and white wheat that I really like. It's pretty much the first IPA I've ever done where I didn't use any specialty grains. It's nice how it showcases hops a bit more.
Jesse