Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactic acid to sour a Berliner  (Read 5383 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Lactic acid to sour a Berliner
« on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:18 pm »
Anybody used lactic acid to sour a Berliner weisse?.  It was done with a sour mash, but it's young and hasn't soured much yet.  Yeah, I know waiting would be the way to go, but how about lactic acid?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Lactic acid to sour a Berliner
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:13:26 pm »
Did you sour mash, boil, then add lactobacillus? If so, you could warm it up with an electric blanket/fermwrap to get the lacto going.

I'm sure there's a rule of thumb about how much acid to add to drop x pH points, but when I adjust sourness, I do it in a keg, one tablespoon/teaspoon at a time, until it tastes right.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:29:59 pm »
I've tried lactic acid in the pint glass during the pour and it was terrible. I have heard that if you are going to use lactic acid that it takes some time to "mellow out". Not sure if this is true or not since I haven't tried it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
Did you sour mash, boil, then add lactobacillus? If so, you could warm it up with an electric blanket/fermwrap to get the lacto going.

I'm sure there's a rule of thumb about how much acid to add to drop x pH points, but when I adjust sourness, I do it in a keg, one tablespoon/teaspoon at a time, until it tastes right.

Lacto has been added and the beer warmed, but it's not going as quickly as I'd like.  According to Jess Caudill from Wyeast, the lacto should have been added before the yeast in order to get faster action.  But that's hindsight....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:49:10 am »
I have added between 2.5 to 3 oz. of lactic acid 88% to bring more tartness to a Berliner weisse that wasn't quite where I wanted it.  It turned out very good.  I had used WLP630 in the primary.  I won't do that again.  The results were underwhelming.  I wholly recommend doing a sour mash or pitching lactobacillus in the primary and letting it sour at 90 - 100F for a few days before pitching your saccharomyces.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 08:32:34 am »
It makes a lot more sense than waiting for something to happen that isn't going to happen.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:40 am »
Try starting with 2oz of 88% Lactic acid. You can always add more if necessary.

Or

Dose a sample of the beer to your liking, then scale up the addition to the full volume of beer.
Ron Price

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:10:19 am »
Dose a sample of the beer to your liking, then scale up the addition to the full volume of beer.

Dats what I would do!  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:16:48 am »

Dats what I would do!  8)

Yeah, that's my SOP.  Thanks for the help, everyone!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:54 pm »
All right, time to 'fess up! This was NOT Denny's beer, it was my wife's. I asked for his input, and he suggested putting it on the forum. I didn't want to do that because that keg was going to Beer and Sweat* last Saturday, and I knew that some of the judges who would be there are regulars here, and many of them ask for sours. I did not want to bias a judge into looking for a lactic-dosed beer. Overall the beer is quite good, it was just not sour enough for Saturday. We ended up adding 1/2 oz. of 88% lactic acid, and it really could have used more. Unfortunately we did not have the time to try several iterations. In the end the beer got a 37.3 score, but didn't even make it into the mini-BOS (Beer and Sweat is a tough gig!). We now plan to just set the keg aside and let it mature properly.
I will add that we used a White Labs vial of lactobacillus, and the pro brewer we talked to said that was a big mistake. He said the Wyeast lacto is a different strain, and is much more aggressive and sour.

*Beer and Sweat is the World's Largest Homebrew Competition**. Forget mailing in two bottles - you haul your keg to the hotel, we judged 352 kegs in one session, and then had a great homebrew party through the evening. It's very similar to Club Night at the NHC, except it's help yourself to any of the kegs, and it lasts far longer.
**by volume
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:08 pm »
I must go to this, "Beer and Sweat"...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/