Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Impressing the most important judge...Mom  (Read 1701 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Impressing the most important judge...Mom
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:25:23 am »
I just got back from visiting my Mom and Dad who live in the UP of Michigan on Lake Superior.  I had a wonderful time with the family eating great food (fried and smoked whitefish, trout) and enjoying the scenery. I came back with 30 lbs of wild blueberries to make wine, beer, and mead with.  Anyway, I brought some of my stronger beers (American Barley Wine, Belgian Dark Strong, and Strong Scotch) for my Mom and Dad to sample.  I was a little cautious because my parents (ages 72 &76) are not really beer drinkers.  They will drink wine and Jim Beam/Coke, but rarely beer...and even rarer non-BMC beer.  So, I started them on the Scotch Strong Ale and they both liked it.  My dad said it would be a good after dinner drink and my mom said she could tell it had more alcohol then the "usual" beer.  Next, taking my dad's advice I served them the Belgain Dark Strong after dinner. This beer recently won a Best in Show at the County Fair. They both really liked this beer, in fact, my mom said she could tell why this beer won and quickly asked for another pour.  The last beer, the American Barley Wine is very hoppy.  I've gotten a wide range of scores for this beer (26-43), but all agree that it is at the top of the range with the hop bitternes and flavor.  My dad took one sip and handed it back to me and just said "wow", however, my mom drank the whole sample and said "very nice".  I explained to her that I was surprised that she liked such a hoppy beer and she simply said, "well, I guess I like hoppy beers".  I just had to share that my mom is awesome.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Impressing the most important judge...Mom
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:32:37 am »
Very cool.  They surprise you sometimes.
Jon H.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:36 am »
Very nice!

...and congrats on the best of show honors.
Ron Price

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 12:16:46 pm »
Very cool that they were open to trying them. My dad likes my beer but had to give up alcohol for health reasons so I can't share with him anymore. My mom's idea of drinking beer is limited to a Corona with Tex-Mex, so she thinks all of my beers taste unpleasant. She generally has bad taste in food so I don't take it as useful feedback.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:12:56 pm »
They both really liked this beer, in fact, my mom said she could tell why this beer won and quickly asked for another pour. 

I just had to share that my mom is awesome.

The ultimate best of show!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 02:48:23 pm »
When Mom and Dad approve, you got it made in the shade. Congrats!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17