Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 565 temp  (Read 6349 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
WLP 565 temp
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:25:37 am »
WLP 565... I've read different things about this. I plan to start fermentation at 85-90 degrees and continue with that temp until finished..., good strategy?
Frank

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: WLP 565 temp
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:27:21 am »
I like to start my saisons at 75 for 12-24 hours and let it free rise to 90. Then I hold it at 90 until fermentation ends. Once fermentation stops I let it clean up at ambient.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:03:00 am »
I brew a lot with WLP565 now. I like to start it at 75, then push it to 80 for the remainder of the fermentation. Usually finishes in 8-10 days.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:10:58 am »
I start mine off in mid to hight 60's and ramp to high 70's, low 80's. That's where I've gotten best result in both flavor and attenuation.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:52:40 am »
I've cranked WLP565 up well into the 90F's with good results.  However, I plan to brew one with Bret in the secondary where I'll ferment the 565 much lower.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:40:04 pm »
Sorry, I didn't get back sooner. I just wanted to thank you guys for the quick responses. I was using this yeast for the Pumpkin Saison recipe that's in Zymurgy. I brewed it Saturday. I set the temp controller at 85.
Frank

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 06:27:04 am »

Sorry, I didn't get back sooner. I just wanted to thank you guys for the quick responses. I was using this yeast for the Pumpkin Saison recipe that's in Zymurgy. I brewed it Saturday. I set the temp controller at 85.

Having used that approach I recommend next time starting it as I suggested above. I think you will find that not only does the flavor turn out better, but that you get more predictable fermentation results and less chance of stalling.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:40:07 am »
I start mine off in mid to hight 60's and ramp to high 70's, low 80's. That's where I've gotten best result in both flavor and attenuation.

I do this as well with very good results.  I have had it finish down to 1.002.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline funblock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:47 am »
I use WLP 565 for al my Saisons and I like to start around 65 degrees.  In a few days it will come up on it's own to about 70.  Then after a few more days I start ramping up the temp to the mid 80's.  The last one I did my temp controler screwed up and it went to 95 degrees.  A buddy who is a BJCP judge was just over and he said that was the best Saison he ever had.  So, from now own, I will start at the mid 60's and ramp up to 95.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:27:25 pm »

Having used that approach I recommend next time starting it as I suggested above. I think you will find that not only does the flavor turn out better, but that you get more predictable fermentation results and less chance of stalling.

Normally I would have followed your advice, but I'm in a different situation. I brew at my uncle's place where we have more than adequate space. I recently moved about 35 minutes away when I used to live about 3 minutes away. He left town on Sunday so I didn't have much choice but to set it and go with it. It fermented rather violently by the looks of the blowoff basin. I took the gravity reading on Friday or Saturday. It has made it down to 1.012 so far in a week. I'll be able to check it again Wednesday.
Frank