General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Refrigerator or chest freezer?

(1/10) > >>

denny:
Which is better for fermentation?  Will running a chest freezer at fermentation temps shorten its life?

beersk:
If you're asking this, then I have no authority to answer...

I recently switched the roles of my chest freezer and kegerator (2 tap tower fridge). Built a collar for my chest freezer and use the fridge, with tower removed and holed plugged, for fermentation. I like it better. I would imagine that it's harder on the freezer's compressor to run it so warm, versus a fridge, which is usually set at a much warmer temp in general than a chest freezer.

morticaixavier:
wow Denny. moving up in the world huh?
I have heard that it will shorten the life of a freezer to run at higher than normal temps but I think that if you can avoid too many short cycles it will be fine. The fridge is a problem because every time you open it all the cold falls out. course you don't have to lift buckets into the fridge.

Joe Sr.:
I can't answer with any authority, as I don't know, but I can't imagine it would.  You shouldn't be short cycling the motor which is where the wear and tear would come from.

My plan is to get an upright fridge because I don't look forward to lifting fermenters in and out of a chest freezer.  I see back pain when I think of that.  And I don't want to spend months rigging some sort of block and tackle in my basement to eliminate the lifting.

beersk:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on August 16, 2013, 01:47:44 PM ---I can't answer with any authority, as I don't know, but I can't imagine it would.  You shouldn't be short cycling the motor which is where the wear and tear would come from.

My plan is to get an upright fridge because I don't look forward to lifting fermenters in and out of a chest freezer.  I see back pain when I think of that.  And I don't want to spend months rigging some sort of block and tackle in my basement to eliminate the lifting.

--- End quote ---
This is why I switched and went the fridge route for fermenting and freezer for kegerator. Got tired of lifting carboys in and out of the freezer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version