Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refrigerator or chest freezer?  (Read 13404 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Refrigerator or chest freezer?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 04:01:49 pm »
My Johnson digital controller has a short cycle prevention setting. Also, a big freezer can hold several carboys.

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »
I like my fermentation "closet" cooled by an a/c unit. Build it to size/fit what you want/need. I had the a/c unit, so it was wood and insulation and screws 30$ or so for mine.

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 05:20:16 pm »
I like my fermentation "closet" cooled by an a/c unit. Build it to size/fit what you want/need. I had the a/c unit, so it was wood and insulation and screws 30$ or so for mine.
Repo
Would like to see pictures of your setup. Maybe post one or link to one that is up?
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »
Repo
Would like to see pictures of your setup. Maybe post one or link to one that is up?
https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q71/s320x320/1170886_498452870241586_1033276336_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q71/s320x320/999599_498463366907203_101578312_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q77/s320x320/9347_498463603573846_302569114_n.jpg

Here are a few shots, I can squeeze four 5 gallon batches in there. I will make it bigger next time, didn't want to go nuts in a rental

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 04:56:21 am »
Chest freezer problems are numerous. They creat a Tom of condensation, they only last about 4-5 years cycling the compressor on and off, and they are a pain in the back lowering kegs, carboys, buckets. But on the other hand, I can fit 8 kegs in my chest freezer, so that's what I go with!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 07:53:56 am »
That's what I did.  But I had the wood and everything else, I just had to buy a $100 AC.  Here's a picture of the inside of mine:
[URL=http://s362.photobucket.com/user/rocdoc1/media/my%20beer%20stuff/WeeHeavyOctober2009014.jpg.html]
Even though it's around 100F in my garage right now, I'm fermenting a smoked roggenbier at 54F internal temp(notice the temp probe wire going into the thermowell).  The AC probably runs less than 15 minutes per hour to keep the temp stable.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:16:55 am by corkybstewart »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 09:39:51 am »
Chest freezer problems are numerous. They creat a Tom of condensation, they only last about 4-5 years cycling the compressor on and off, and they are a pain in the back lowering kegs, carboys, buckets. But on the other hand, I can fit 8 kegs in my chest freezer, so that's what I go with!

I want something I can get 2 buckets into.  They'll go in empty, so that solves at least the first part of the problem.  Still gotta get the full ones out, though!  If I could fit in a couple kegs for storage, not serving, it would be a plus.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:05 am »
15 cu ft chest freezer is what I use. Works great. Holds 4 buckets easily. You could maybe put the freezer up on a frame (in the south we just use cinder blocks :P) off the ground and siphon the beer out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 11:15:45 am »
15 cu ft chest freezer is what I use. Works great. Holds 4 buckets easily. You could maybe put the freezer up on a frame (in the south we just use cinder blocks :P) off the ground and siphon the beer out.

Thanks for the info.  Off to price freezers!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 12:12:42 pm »

If you're not in a huge rush and want to price shop http://www.homebrewfinds.com usually finds a good deal on various models a couple times a month. The sale prices are usually a real good deal if you find a model on sale that fits your needs.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »

If you're not in a huge rush and want to price shop http://www.homebrewfinds.com usually finds a good deal on various models a couple times a month. The sale prices are usually a real good deal if you find a model on sale that fits your needs.

Thanks.  There's no big hurry, so I'll check it out.  I found one at Home depot for about $400, including delivery.  Delivery is important.  I have no way to haul one.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 09:29:10 pm »
Never pay full price. Sale prices an freezers are sometimes 40% below "retail."

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 10:13:12 am »
Never pay full price. Sale prices an freezers are sometimes 40% below "retail."

Yeah, that's what I'm finding as I look.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 10:53:09 am »
I've got the Ranco dual stage. Very happy with it.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 11:04:05 am »
Whichever I use for fermentation, I don't imagine it being opened too frequently.  If I go for the freezer, I'll put empty buckets in it and pump the wort in.

Chest freezers sweat (a lot) at fermentation temps. Even though I clean mine fairly regularly, I wouldn't trust it with open fermentors and sweet wort.

Plus you'll have to eventually get the wort OUT, so unless you're somehow elevating the freezer, you'll have to lug full buckets up and over anyway.

I got my little ferm fridge free on the side of the road when a couple moved out down the street. It works great. Barely fits one bucket, but that's all ya need.

As far as the controller: My ambient basement temperature (where the fridge is) is usually lower than my ale ferment or diacetyl rest temps, so I use a dual stage and a heat belt to keep the fermenter temp steady at the back end of fermentation.

The dual stage is worth it: It really nails ferm temps within a degree, allows you to ferment anywhere, and allows you to maintain relatively high temps (for saisons, high gravity brews, diacetyl rests, etc.)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/