Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lawnmower Beer  (Read 9217 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lawnmower Beer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »
This thread is just what I needed...time to get brewing again, that lager yeast in the fridge isn't going to pitch itself!

For me a good pils is the best summer beer.  Nothing but pilsner malt, some very light noble hopping, and a good, controlled ferment.  Years of brewing and drinking heavy, thick, or overly hopped beers made me fairly recently rediscover the simple joy of a good pils.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 08:55:00 pm »
This thread is just what I needed...time to get brewing again, that lager yeast in the fridge isn't going to pitch itself!

For me a good pils is the best summer beer.  Nothing but pilsner malt, some very light noble hopping, and a good, controlled ferment.  Years of brewing and drinking heavy, thick, or overly hopped beers made me fairly recently rediscover the simple joy of a good pils.

Nic,  I'm with ya on this one, although I have to keep an IPA around just in case. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 07:17:51 am »
Make mine a double IPA!   ;D

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:08:32 am »
US-05 (or Chico in general) is a pretty clean strain. Just be sure to cool it down in to the low 60s before you pitch and try to keep the fermentation temps below 68-70 and it will be good, though if you can ferment in the low 60s it will be more "lager-like". One thing I neglected to mention in the recipe is that you will need to boil the grits for 20 minutes or use instant grits or flaked maize.

Keith,

If you use flaked maize, you just add it to the mash, right?  And by instant grits, do you mean just an instant corn meal from the supermarket?

This is a great thread; I was about to post basically the same question as the OP. I want a summer ale that is really pale like a Pils but that I don't have to sit around waiting for it to lager (my lagering capabilities are maxed out right now with Helles and Maibock).   What if I would replace the Liberty with Saaz, which I have a lot of right now, and maybe even add another 1oz at flameout for more aroma... would this work?

-red

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 12:26:41 pm »
Sure, sub out any hops you like. I have even used Centennial before in low amounts for an interesting spin. As far as "Instant Grits", they are actually parboiled, quick dried grits aka polenta. You may have trouble finding them depending what part of the country you are in. Grits are cheap and easy to find 'round these here parts. ;) If you can't find them, just spend the extra coin and get the flaked maize. I have seen some places sell it in 5 pound bulk for ~1.50 per pound or cheaper.

I am going to probably make this again very soon but with a lager yeast since I am getting ready to start up another string of lagers. Going to start with this and split between WLP830 and WLP833.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:15:26 pm »
just spend the extra coin and get the flaked maize. I have seen some places sell it in 5 pound bulk for ~1.50 per pound or cheaper.

Yeah I guess that's what I'll do.  But what is the mash procedure for flaked maize?  I've never used it before. Can I just mix it in with my milled malt and mash away?  I do exclusively infusion mashes and batch sparges in a Denny-type setup.

-red

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »
Can I just mix it in with my milled malt and mash away?

You sure can!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell