Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: malting  (Read 6892 times)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: malting
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 08:47:39 pm »
Tonight I've got "good chit":
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 09:00:14 pm »

Neat, altho i was under the impression that barley only put out 1 sprout. I was surprised to see that most of them seem to have 3!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
    • BrewArk
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 09:15:37 pm »
Neat, altho i was under the impression that barley only put out 1 sprout. I was surprised to see that most of them seem to have 3!
Most of the drawings I've seen have 3-5 "chits" or rootlets.  There's one "acrospire" that will be the indicator of when the conversion has taken place.  So far I don't see much indicator of that.  But, it's early.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:17:18 pm by BrewArk »

Na Zdraví

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:24 pm »

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 11:38:06 pm »

looks good. eagle eye time. it happens fast once it starts happening. try to keep it cool to slow it down.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 05:47:06 am »
Most of the drawings I've seen have 3-5 "chits" or rootlets.  There's one "acrospire" that will be the indicator of when the conversion has taken place.  So far I don't see much indicator of that.  But, it's early.  :)

Ah! so i was mixing up the bottom with the top.  I could of sworn the pictures(not many tbh) i had looked at only had an acrospire showing first without the rootlets.

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:32 am »

Ah! so i was mixing up the bottom with the top.  I could of sworn the pictures(not many tbh) i had looked at only had an acrospire showing first without the rootlets.

Cheers,
Jeff

you should never see the acrospires on the outside when malting barley. wheat is a different story because it lacks a husk. You need to split open a kernel to see the acrospires. and you want to stop the sprouting process when the majority of grains have an acrospires ~.75 of the length of the grain. You can also tell it's close just by mooshing a grain between your fingers, when it's almost there it really just turns to paste with a gentle moosh
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 11:38:02 am »

Nice job!  Whatever variety of barley that is, the husk is almost transparent.  This makes it very easy to monitor the process and know when to begin kilning.  Like was said, cooler temps will buy you some time by slowing the germination process if you're not yet ready to dry them down.  If you observe a few random kernels on a daily basis for the next few days,  you'll know then the majority are at about 3/4 the way to the tip.  That's generally the time suggested to begin halting the process.  Remember your temps!

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
    • BrewArk
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 01:27:03 pm »
I made the call yesterday.  I put it into the dehydrator at 100°F while I was at work for the day.  When I got home, I raised the temp to 130°F for two hours, then maxed the dehydrator (~160°F) for another 3 hours.

Afterward, I cleaned the chit out of it, in a strainer.  The result looks a lot like Pilsner malt.  Very light.

Since I have some pilsner malt, I may try a side/side this weekend.  The only issue is the logistics of mashing/sparging/fermenting such a small batch.  Assuming that my conversion isn't as good as commercial, I'll probably plan a long mash, maybe a protein rest.

That's my challenge for the weekend. ;D 

Na Zdraví

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 02:08:18 pm »
I made the call yesterday.  I put it into the dehydrator at 100°F while I was at work for the day.  When I got home, I raised the temp to 130°F for two hours, then maxed the dehydrator (~160°F) for another 3 hours.

Afterward, I cleaned the chit out of it, in a strainer.  The result looks a lot like Pilsner malt.  Very light.

Since I have some pilsner malt, I may try a side/side this weekend.  The only issue is the logistics of mashing/sparging/fermenting such a small batch.  Assuming that my conversion isn't as good as commercial, I'll probably plan a long mash, maybe a protein rest.

That's my challenge for the weekend. ;D

nice,

I didn't notice a huge problem with efficiency in the small batch test. you can mash as usual and put I through a fine mesh sieve to 'lauter'. I fermented in a gallon jug.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce