Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Zythos  (Read 10084 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: All Zythos
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:10 pm »
I did what was supposed to be an all Munich/Zythos APA. Overshot my gravity and didn't account for the maltiness of an all Munich beer so the hop character was lacking. The few impressions that I took away is that this is hop blend I would like to use more in the future. I would like to attempt the same beer at some point and adjust the recipe accordingly.

Yeah... I'm probably not going to go with an all Munich IPA. There's not much that I dislike more is when I purchase a new IPA and the malt outweighs the hops
+1.  Exactly.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:32 pm »
I did what was supposed to be an all Munich/Zythos APA. Overshot my gravity and didn't account for the maltiness of an all Munich beer so the hop character was lacking. The few impressions that I took away is that this is hop blend I would like to use more in the future. I would like to attempt the same beer at some point and adjust the recipe accordingly.

Yeah... I'm probably not going to go with an all Munich IPA. There's not much that I dislike more is when I purchase a new IPA and the malt outweighs the hops

I do enjoy a bit of Munich in my IPA's, but once you start pushing the 20-30% range you hit a point where the beer starts to become balanced too far towards the malty side.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:44 am »
Ok since we're on the topic...
I've always used crystals my IPAs and pale ales. I picked up 10 lbs of light Munich. I want to try and sub out the crystals. I don't mind crystals but I want to expand the horizons. What percentage of Munich would be ideal? 10%? I don't want a whole lot of malt taste. Basically for body and color. Thought about trying Maris Otter for 1/3 to 1/2 the bill too.
Frank

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 06:20:52 am »

Ok since we're on the topic...
I've always used crystals my IPAs and pale ales. I picked up 10 lbs of light Munich. I want to try and sub out the crystals. I don't mind crystals but I want to expand the horizons. What percentage of Munich would be ideal? 10%? I don't want a whole lot of malt taste. Basically for body and color. Thought about trying Maris Otter for 1/3 to 1/2 the bill too.

That depends on what you're looking for. Also, depends on your IBUs as to whether or not you'll taste it. I have found that when using unfamiliar malts I will do the nano-mash experiment at different percentages and try to imagine what that'd taste like with hops. The experiment is outlined a couple of issues of Zymurgy ago.
Trey W.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 06:57:37 am »
I use 10-20% Munich (usually closer to 10%) and no more than 5% Crystal in my IPAs, along with 2-row.  Makes a nice malt base yet doesn't compete with the hops.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:25:09 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16:41 am »
I use 10-20% Munich (usually closer to 10%) and no more than 5% Crystal in my IPAs, along with 2-row.  Makes a nice malt base yet doesn't compete with the hops.

Thanks, Jon. I think we share similar expectations in an IPA, so this works for me. So I'll try 10% Munich and add max, 5% crystal. What degree crystal do you use...40L, 20L?

I high jacked my own thread lol... Owell, good stuff
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 10:24:59 am »

Thanks, Jon. I think we share similar expectations in an IPA, so this works for me. So I'll try 10% Munich and add max, 5% crystal. What degree crystal do you use...40L, 20L?

I high jacked my own thread lol... Owell, good stuff
Generally 40L or 60L in IPA.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 11:10:59 am »
My standard IPA recipe is 75% 2-row, 20% Munich and 5% Victory. I'm not a fan of Crystal malt in my IPA's, so I've gravitated towards this combo for my malt bill. It also helps that I grew up on Harpoon IPA, and this is pretty close to the malt bill that they use.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:05:32 pm »
All tasters choice. I've done 20% crystal and I've done 20% Munich with no other changes. To me the crystal version seems more carmel and what I would expect in the PNW. The Munich version is more toasty and no carmel, what I would expect from across the pond.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »
I'm thinking about this hop schedule... all additions to be Zythos...

FWH - 3 oz
60 min - 3 oz
0 min - 5 oz
Dry hop - 5 oz

I'm not sure what the IBUs end up being and really not concerned.
Frank

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 07:07:37 pm »
I'm thinking about this hop schedule... all additions to be Zythos...

FWH - 3 oz
60 min - 3 oz
0 min - 5 oz
Dry hop - 5 oz

I'm not sure what the IBUs end up being and really not concerned.

Assuming a one gallon batch?
Take it easy...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 07:23:50 pm »
I would go with a "balanced" recipe of equal portions grain and hops

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 08:18:25 pm »
I'll probably go with a 1.070 OG. I've been trying to push the threshold of hops lately. I've not yet overdone it yet in my book.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »
Was that for 5 gallons Frank?
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52:15 pm »