Author Topic: All Zythos  (Read 3834 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewer
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: All Zythos
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »
I'm going to give this a shot as well; I just bought a pound.

Tentatively thinking:

91% 2-row
7% English dark crystal
2% cara-pils

3 oz. - 60 min
2 oz. - 10 min
2 oz. - 5 min
2 oz. - 0 min
2 oz. - dry hop

US-05

Online HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »
Was that for 5 gallons Frank?

Yeah
Love the flameout and dry amounts Frank. Even a 30 minute hopstand with those flameout hops would bring a ton of flavor.  With the 3 oz of FWH I might back the 60 min addition to 2 oz though.  Otherwise looks great to me !
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:50:07 AM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »

Yeah
Love the flameout and dry amounts Frank. Even a 30 minute hopstand with those flameout hops would bring a ton of flavor.  With the 3 oz of FWH I might back the 60 min addition to 2 oz though.  Otherwise looks great to me !

Hmmm... I'm going to need to fit that 1 oz in there someone... That way I can still call it "The Pounder" lol
Frank

Online jeffy

• Brewmaster General
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »

Yeah

Hmmm... I'm going to need to fit that 1 oz in there someone... That way I can still call it "The Pounder" lol
Easy.  More dry hops.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »
That much hops should give you plenty of foam maker. Pils kinda pointless

Online HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »

Yeah

Easy.  More dry hops.
+1. Exactly.  You'll have more aroma and flavor, a little less harsh bitterness.  I dry hop 5 or 6 oz on IPAs regularly.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »

Yeah

Easy.  More dry hops.
+1. Exactly.  You'll have more aroma and flavor, a little less harsh bitterness.  I dry hop 5 or 6 oz on IPAs regularly.

Gotcha... Though I love flavor and aroma, I'm also a fan of the "harsh bitterness." I feel that gives an IPA backbone. I'll figure out exactly how I want to arrange the hops better. I threw this schedule together in the time it took me to type it lol. This brew isn't up for awhile, because I want to use 007 yeast with this one. I have to make it to the LHBS to get it. I have a plan for a hop combo IPA that showcases Meridian Friday, then I'll have a pumpkin beer, and winter warmer to get brewed first. So we're at least a month out for this one. As always, thanks for everybody's input!
Frank

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
I did an APA along these lines, with 1oz zythos @FWH, 1/2 oz each of Zythos, Cascade, and Citra at both 5 and 0 with a 30 minute hopstand. I used my standard 70% 2-row 30% munich, mash at 156. It was one of my favorite APA's, but it really needed a dry-hop addition. Unfortunately I was too busy to throw some hops in (it spent 4 weeks in primary, and then right into a keg, where it sat for 2 weeks before I could drink it).

If I were to make this into an IPA, I would drop the munich down to 15-20%, and maybe add a bit of sugar to dry it out some more. Obviously I would also add more hops.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline narcout

• Brewer
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
Well, I'm finally getting around to brewing this today.  Did anyone else give it a shot yet?

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
Nope... I've been on/going to be through October a brewing hiatus.. So I'll be looking forward to hearing your results by the time I get to this.
Frank

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
Well, the one I brewed turned out fair. One caveat is it was a contract brew and not my recipe. It seemed to have a lot of tropical fruits in the hop character and some other interesting hop flavors that I'm not sure how to describe. I should pop in the "brew pub" that I brewed it for and try it again as I didn't really spend very much time with it.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline narcout

• Brewer
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
I just tapped the keg of Zythos IPA, and I'm pretty happy with it.

It has a good hop aroma, great hop flavor, and a nice sharp bitterness.  It's a little citrusy, a little fruity, and a little piney. I think it is a successful blend.  If I brewed it again, I might pair it with a more aggressive bittering hop to give it a stronger bite.

I have enough left over for another batch, but I'm going to throw in a little Chinook.

I'm thinking an American black ale.

10 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. English dark crystal
.35 lbs. Carafa II
.35 lbs. English chocolate malt
2 oz. Zythos at 60 min.
1 oz. Chinook at 20 min.
1 oz. Zythos at 10 min.
1 oz. Zythos at 5 min.
1 oz. Zythos at flameout
1 oz. Zythos dryhop 
US-O5

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »
I kegged this Friday and was able to taste it today.... Meh... I won't say that it's bad, but for a blend, I think it tastes rather one dimensional. It will be easy to drink and enjoyed, but I probably won't be buying anymore Zythos.
Frank

Offline narcout

• Brewer
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 02:29:58 PM »
I have the American Black Ale referenced above on tap now, and it's pretty tasty.  Next time I'd probably throw in an other two ounces of Chinook though.