Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Perfect Pumpkin Beer  (Read 13101 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Perfect Pumpkin Beer
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 09:33:36 am »
Just curious what some other people do for spice additions.

I do 3 gallon batches and use 2.5tsp of McCormick's Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 09:35:44 am »
I've always done cinnamon, all spice, cloves.  Maybe a touch of ginger.  It's been awhile since I've done a pumpkin ale.

I've alternated between spices added in at the end of the boil and spices added to the keg as a tincture (soaked in vodka for awhile, and then add the vodka).  I have found that I prefer the spices added to the boil, but everyone is different.
Cinnamon, nutmeg, a LITTLE clove (it's very strong), vanilla.  I prefer the end of boil too.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:28 am »
From highest amount to lowest I use Cinammon, ginger, nutmeg, & cloves. I use simple preground varieties from the grocery store and has worked great up to this point. Last year, I added orange zest as well and really liked the outcome.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 01:56:52 pm »
I have used the individual spices and even a local blend, but I like good ole McCormick's for consistency.

Sweet potatoes good be an interesting twist as a substitute for pumpkin. They may have more sugar content.

Most people that try my pumpkin beer compare it to Dogfishhead's Punkin Ale. I try to make mine beer first, pumpkin later so that it is more drinkable.

The pumpkin Saison is fabulous.

I am getting a lot of positive feedack on the article. Maybe they will let me write another for them on day.  :)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 03:40:33 pm »
I have used the individual spices and even a local blend, but I like good ole McCormick's for consistency.

Sweet potatoes good be an interesting twist as a substitute for pumpkin. They may have more sugar content.

Most people that try my pumpkin beer compare it to Dogfishhead's Punkin Ale. I try to make mine beer first, pumpkin later so that it is more drinkable.

I am getting a lot of positive feedack on the article. Maybe they will let me write another for them on day.  :)

My plan is to stick with your recipe to the tee and do a 3 gallon batch of the ale and 3gal of the saison. Can't wait...
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »

I don't see why not. It was very nicely written and solid. I turned right to it!
Frank

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:04 am »
The only Pumpkin beer I have brewed was Jamil's out of BCS. I thought it was really good, and he gives good advice about pumpkin beers. Also if you listen to the Jamil Show he talks about it.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Spice-Beer-The-Jamil-Show-10-23-06

Hey, I also just found this, a Sunday Session all about Pumpkin and Spice beer:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/916

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 07:34:44 pm »
I just ordered the ingredients. This should be my next brew!
Frank

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 09:24:14 pm »
So post your recipe!!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 04:00:10 am »
I'm brewing the recipe in the new Zymurgy.
Frank

cornershot

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 04:48:52 am »
Brewed this one yesterday. First pumpkin brew ever. Since my mash tun was full of tomato sauce, I brewed with BIAB method, thinking I'd avoid a stuck mash with the pumpkin. Well that pumpkin clogged up my bag. I managed to get it into a bucket and squeeze it out but what a mess! Good thing I brewed outside!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 06:04:19 am »
Just promised the wife a pumpkin beer (*grumble*)

Going to brew 5-10 gallons of either Bock, ESB, or porter, then pull 1 gallon and dose with pumpkin pie spice tincture.

I'm thinking Bock would be a nice pair for the pumpkin. Anyone ever tried it?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:42 am »
Just promised the wife a pumpkin beer (*grumble*)

Going to brew 5-10 gallons of either Bock, ESB, or porter, then pull 1 gallon and dose with pumpkin pie spice tincture.

I'm thinking Bock would be a nice pair for the pumpkin. Anyone ever tried it?

I just made the same promise.  Haven't brewed one in about three years.  I've never done a pumpkin Bock, but I could see it with a ESB or porter definitely.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05:17 am »
I'm going to stick with the recipe in Zymurgy, a 5.5 gallon batch using Saison yeast.  I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the Belle Saison yeast in this application.

Also, most (every?) pumpkin beer I have tasted have been light on spice for my palate.  That being the case the recipe calls for 1 Tbsp / 6 gallons - what would the upper limit be?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:26 am »
I'm going to stick with the recipe in Zymurgy, a 5.5 gallon batch using Saison yeast.  I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the Belle Saison yeast in this application.

Also, most (every?) pumpkin beer I have tasted have been light on spice for my palate.  That being the case the recipe calls for 1 Tbsp / 6 gallons - what would the upper limit be?

Belle saison is a beast. it took my table saison to 1.000.

I would start with the amount of spice the recipe calls for and make a tincture as well. At packaging time take measured samples and doctor with tincture at measured concentrations till you meet or exceed your personal upper limit.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce