Author Topic: Perfect Pumpkin Beer  (Read 5792 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Pumpkin Beer
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »
Just curious what some other people do for spice additions.

I do 3 gallon batches and use 2.5tsp of McCormick's Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
I've always done cinnamon, all spice, cloves.  Maybe a touch of ginger.  It's been awhile since I've done a pumpkin ale.

I've alternated between spices added in at the end of the boil and spices added to the keg as a tincture (soaked in vodka for awhile, and then add the vodka).  I have found that I prefer the spices added to the boil, but everyone is different.
Cinnamon, nutmeg, a LITTLE clove (it's very strong), vanilla.  I prefer the end of boil too.
Jon H.

Offline goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
From highest amount to lowest I use Cinammon, ginger, nutmeg, & cloves. I use simple preground varieties from the grocery store and has worked great up to this point. Last year, I added orange zest as well and really liked the outcome.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »
I have used the individual spices and even a local blend, but I like good ole McCormick's for consistency.

Sweet potatoes good be an interesting twist as a substitute for pumpkin. They may have more sugar content.

Most people that try my pumpkin beer compare it to Dogfishhead's Punkin Ale. I try to make mine beer first, pumpkin later so that it is more drinkable.

The pumpkin Saison is fabulous.

I am getting a lot of positive feedack on the article. Maybe they will let me write another for them on day.  :)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank

Fermenting: McChouffe clone, Samiclaus clone
Conditioning: Belgian Tripel, Barrel Aged Baltic Porter - in sherry barrel, Belgain Easter Ale
On tap: CAP, Dortmunder Export, IIPA, Dubbel Chocolate Stout, Wee Heavy, Whiskey barrel aged Wee Heavy, Baltic Porter
Newly Bottled:

Offline duncan

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
I have used the individual spices and even a local blend, but I like good ole McCormick's for consistency.

Sweet potatoes good be an interesting twist as a substitute for pumpkin. They may have more sugar content.

Most people that try my pumpkin beer compare it to Dogfishhead's Punkin Ale. I try to make mine beer first, pumpkin later so that it is more drinkable.

I am getting a lot of positive feedack on the article. Maybe they will let me write another for them on day.  :)

My plan is to stick with your recipe to the tee and do a 3 gallon batch of the ale and 3gal of the saison. Can't wait...

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

I don't see why not. It was very nicely written and solid. I turned right to it!
Frank

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
The only Pumpkin beer I have brewed was Jamil's out of BCS. I thought it was really good, and he gives good advice about pumpkin beers. Also if you listen to the Jamil Show he talks about it.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Spice-Beer-The-Jamil-Show-10-23-06

Hey, I also just found this, a Sunday Session all about Pumpkin and Spice beer:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/916

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
I just ordered the ingredients. This should be my next brew!
Frank

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
So post your recipe!!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 03:00:10 AM »
I'm brewing the recipe in the new Zymurgy.
Frank

cornershot

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 03:48:52 AM »
Brewed this one yesterday. First pumpkin brew ever. Since my mash tun was full of tomato sauce, I brewed with BIAB method, thinking I'd avoid a stuck mash with the pumpkin. Well that pumpkin clogged up my bag. I managed to get it into a bucket and squeeze it out but what a mess! Good thing I brewed outside!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • St. Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:19 AM »
Just promised the wife a pumpkin beer (*grumble*)

Going to brew 5-10 gallons of either Bock, ESB, or porter, then pull 1 gallon and dose with pumpkin pie spice tincture.

I'm thinking Bock would be a nice pair for the pumpkin. Anyone ever tried it?
@southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments:
http://southhousepilotbrewery.blogspot.com/

STLHops Homebrew Club:
http://STLHops.com/

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »
Just promised the wife a pumpkin beer (*grumble*)

Going to brew 5-10 gallons of either Bock, ESB, or porter, then pull 1 gallon and dose with pumpkin pie spice tincture.

I'm thinking Bock would be a nice pair for the pumpkin. Anyone ever tried it?

I just made the same promise.  Haven't brewed one in about three years.  I've never done a pumpkin Bock, but I could see it with a ESB or porter definitely.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 09:05:17 AM »
I'm going to stick with the recipe in Zymurgy, a 5.5 gallon batch using Saison yeast.  I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the Belle Saison yeast in this application.

Also, most (every?) pumpkin beer I have tasted have been light on spice for my palate.  That being the case the recipe calls for 1 Tbsp / 6 gallons - what would the upper limit be?
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »
I'm going to stick with the recipe in Zymurgy, a 5.5 gallon batch using Saison yeast.  I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the Belle Saison yeast in this application.

Also, most (every?) pumpkin beer I have tasted have been light on spice for my palate.  That being the case the recipe calls for 1 Tbsp / 6 gallons - what would the upper limit be?

Belle saison is a beast. it took my table saison to 1.000.

I would start with the amount of spice the recipe calls for and make a tincture as well. At packaging time take measured samples and doctor with tincture at measured concentrations till you meet or exceed your personal upper limit.