Author Topic: Perfect Pumpkin Beer  (Read 6176 times)

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Pumpkin Beer
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
Anybody ever try mashing with some roasted spiced pumpkin?
Ron Price

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
I'll be brewing the Zymurgy recipe Saturday. I got my starters with 565 and 008 going last night. I'm looking forward to it.
Frank

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »

You mean using a pie pumpkin and chopping it up and roasting it?  No.

I did mash once with the Libby spiced pumpkin pie mix and it was one of the tastiest pumpkin beers I ever made.  I did not roast it, though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »
Belle saison is a beast. it took my table saison to 1.000.

Yes!  My last brew was a Saison using this yeast.  It took it to 1.000 also.  It is not done with cold conditioning yet, but the sample I tasted when kegging was pretty good.  Thanks for the input.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »

You mean using a pie pumpkin and chopping it up and roasting it?  No.

I did mash once with the Libby spiced pumpkin pie mix and it was one of the tastiest pumpkin beers I ever made.  I did not roast it, though.

I did last year if this what you mean. Hard to get pumpkins here until October. Lot of work. I just bought six cans.
Frank

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:03 AM »
What about water additions?  I brew with 100% RO and add water salts using Brun' Water as a guide.  Should I ignore the pumpkin in the mash?  Does it have an effect on pH?  I imagine it would at least add Alkalinity, but my guesses in this area are a 50/50 shot.

Barring any info coming which will change my mind I'll just use my Saison profile.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
What about water additions?  I brew with 100% RO and add water salts using Brun' Water as a guide.  Should I ignore the pumpkin in the mash?  Does it have an effect on pH?  I imagine it would at least add Alkalinity, but my guesses in this area are a 50/50 shot.

I suspect that the mineral content of the unroasted pumpkin is a reflection of the soil where the pumpkin was grown.  Consequently, it may be hard to get any data that is helpful.
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »

Barring any info coming which will change my mind I'll just use my Saison profile.

I don't think I would think too much into it. I'm sure the pumpkin will add some sort of mineral content to the mash. But it's a pumpkin beer, so the mineral content that the pumpkin adds is supposed to be there. I'm probably way wrong on this but it's how I'm going about it lol
Frank

cornershot

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »

I don't think I would think too much into it. I'm sure the pumpkin will add some sort of mineral content to the mash. But it's a pumpkin beer, so the mineral content that the pumpkin adds is supposed to be there. I'm probably way wrong on this but it's how I'm going about it lol

I consider the mineral content of the pumpkin to be negligible. On that note, does anyone consider the mineral content of the grains before brewing? Doubt it. I would go with whatever profile you would use in the base beer. For the Zymurgy recipe, I went with a malty profile.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »

I consider the mineral content of the pumpkin to be negligible. On that note, does anyone consider the mineral content of the grains before brewing? Doubt it. I would go with whatever profile you would use in the base beer. For the Zymurgy recipe, I went with a malty profile.
+1 on the pumpkin.  I assumed the pH effect of using pumpkin to be negligible when I made the pumpkin ales of mine, and made good beers.  As for the latter, the thing I consider with grain is the type of grain, ie. crystal, roasted etc., and the effect of the grist on pH.  Mineral content of grain, not so much.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
I inferred from the article that Scott fly sparges.  I batch sparge.  He mentioned being careful to avoid a stuck sparge, so I doubled the rice hulls to 1 lb. for a 5 gallon batch.  It worked flawlessly.  Now you know.
Steve
All Hands Brewing

cornershot

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
I inferred from the article that Scott fly sparges.  I batch sparge.  He mentioned being careful to avoid a stuck sparge, so I doubled the rice hulls to 1 lb. for a 5 gallon batch.  It worked flawlessly.  Now you know.

I know I won't do a brew in a bag pumpkin beer ever again!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »

Good to know. I plan on using a pound, but I have a 1/2-3/4 pound on reserve if I need it after the first runoff.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
Just finished brewing. I'm did something dumb and missed my volume and ended up with 9 gallons. My gravity is 1.077. Big beer!
Frank

Offline kvp

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »
I'm curious about the maple syrup being listed as 2 pounds. Is that a misprint? Fluid volume would be how it's marked and sold.
Just want to make sure if I should use 2 pounds or 2 fluid (ounces, cups, gallons , other)?